Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry.... >

I could cry....

I could cry....

Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 PM

If the 2 background fabrics look nice, alternate everyother block with them :O)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 AM

I was against piecing the backing, but, I've seen some backings that QB members have pieced and they are as artistic as the front. I've been piecing my backs, also, since fabric prices have increased and I'm trying to use my stash. Eiltcoq.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 AM

Sorry about the late answers, I was on holiday and didn’t have access to a computer.

pjnesler: Yes, that is the pattern. I don’t know if you own the book, but if you do you can see that the fabric requirements given are approximations so I can’t guarantee 7 meters will be enough just because it is just a little more than the 7.5 yards the pattern uses .

catmcclure: Just reading that made me go cross-eyed. I think I lost track of the calculations somewhere in your first sentence. It also doesn’t help that each block is different – I would have to calculate background fabric requirements for each separate block.

stitchofclass2: I thought of trying to get more of the second fabric and use just that, but they don’t have enough in stock (not nearly enough, just 1 meter more), so I would end up with the same problem.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

One of my quilting friends uses several different light colored pieces for background in her quilts deliberately. She calls it a "muckled" background. I have done that for 2 quilts now and find the ones where the background all matches to be boring now. I have a pinwheel quilt done this way and now my fractured jewel quilt pieced but not borders or quilted and I really like both of them.Actually 3 quilts as my Avatar quilt is done with this method.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 AM

I got a mailer from McCall's quilts and there are two examplels of muckled backgrounds. I will post pictures. I thought that if you could see one done it would make it seem more acceptable to you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252782.jpe   attachment-252783.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer
I got a mailer from McCall's quilts and there are two examplels of muckled backgrounds. I will post pictures. I thought that if you could see one done it would make it seem more acceptable to you.
:-P I agreee - this makes the quilt so much more interesting - it draws you in to take a closer look.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer
Seeing it (especially the first picture, which I quite like) does make it seem less of a problem. I think maybe my biggest problem was the fact that I had to adjust my mental picture, if you know what I mean?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 AM

I like the muckled backgrounds... and seeing the pattern as long as your sashing strips are all from the same batch of fabric I don't think you'll have too much trouble with the backgrounds being a bit off.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Glad to be of help. The first time I saw it I didn't like the idea but her quilts were so pretty when finished that I tried it.