Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I did it again!!!!

I got a half finished quilt top, the magazine with the pattern and the fabric to finish it---everything but the batting for $3 at a garage sale.

At another garage sale later in the day I got a large plastic tote and all the fabric in it, including 13 quilt blocks for $4 and another piece that's about 4 1/2 yds for 50 cents. YEA!!!! On the way to this one I was talking to a friend and she said, "If you should run across a briefcase at any of these sales pick me up one. I don't care what it looks like as long as it's in good shape. I don't have a lot of money so try to keep it under $5." I found one there for 25cents and in great shape.

Blog Entries
    WOW!! What great deals you came across :D:D:D

Great deals!

Awesome! Have fun playing with your new treasures this weekend! Sounds like everyone is finding good deals this weekend!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Whoo hoo You hit the Jackpot!!!

That is fabulous... Good for you!

Wowzers! I guess I need to hit more garage sales.

Can I go shopping with you??? LOL

Me too? LOL I hope the yard sales in my area are that good! I'll have to start checking them out.

And I thought I did well yesterday...5 shirts, a velvet dress (for the fabric - not my size), a small tote, a candy jar and a vase all for $5 at one and (this is the amazing one) a wire basket with a set of 4 graduated size triangular glass cork top canisters with spaghetti, rotini, macaroni & peppercorns for $1!

I believe you beat me for sure!

You are so lucky. Great job and post some pics if you have time.

I've been really blessed this past week. I didn't have much money to go on quilting retreat with and while there one of the ladies wanted one of my tea wallets and insisted giving me $5 for it. Then another lady found out that I'd challenged myself to make a "man quilt" only from garage sale and thrift store shirts. She took me to a fabulous thrift store that was a "fill and bag for $2" place. Three woven belts, 6 pincushion holders and 18 shirts later we left minus my $2! The ladies that make Stockings for the Troops with me were running short of things to make the drawstrings with and I found a whole grocery sack full of skiens of macrame cord yesterday for 50 cents! It's been a great week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I got a half finished quilt top, the magazine with the pattern and the fabric to finish it---everything but the batting for $3 at a garage sale.

At another garage sale later in the day I got a large plastic tote and all the fabric in it, including 13 quilt blocks for $4 and another piece that's about 4 1/2 yds for 50 cents. YEA!!!! On the way to this one I was talking to a friend and she said, "If you should run across a briefcase at any of these sales pick me up one. I don't care what it looks like as long as it's in good shape. I don't have a lot of money so try to keep it under $5." I found one there for 25cents and in great shape.
    Wow! Good for you. I just can't do yard sales; too skeevy about bringing in fleas and other unwanted pests. I also don't have the patience to drive around looking for sales. The stuff around here that I see for sale should go straight to the landfill.

That's a real shame. We have some around here like that and if they look nasty I drive right on by or leave quickly. I'm pretty choosy about where I buy from. Smelly places, dirty people, dirty items, or limp clothing makes me head for the car. I also smell items. If they look clean but smell of animals I leave. If they smell of heavily of smoke I leave unless it's something I really want and it can be washed. So far I've never had any problems. I will say that fabric and clothing go straight to the washer when I get home.