Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I did a bad, bad thing.... >

I did a bad, bad thing....

I did a bad, bad thing....

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM

OK Tutt,

We all seem to agree you did something very good and actually probably more well thought out than you recognize.

You can also say it is better than mental health therapy or medication. It will keep you happy and active as you find you have more time. What a wise investment.

Don't know if this will help or not ... but ... one of our LQS's has very good sales at least twice a year. At that sale I usually buy a gift card. Yes, it is usually for $100 but when on sale I either get $120 on the card or pay $80 for it. Since I am going to want to buy fabric sometime anyway, I figure this is a great way to enjance my savings. That way I feel like I have double dipped as I usually buy material there using their 40% off coupons [and no it is a LQS, not Joanns.]

Keeping involved in what you love to do is better than anything else you can do.

ali
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 AM

Tutt, if your husband is not going off to work every day, think of the money saved on gas for his transport to and from work - that'll pay for your new toy! Keep it and enjoy...we only go around once!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Yes, I did the same thing, but I was the one who got laid 0ff.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 AM

Better to do it now while you can pay for it than try to squeeze the money when it's tighter!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 AM

I look back over the things I have purchased thru the years when money was tight raising kids. I don't regret one thing since the items are still in use and much better quality than stuff today.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by tutt
My husband lost his job in November, but he's retirement age, so it's working out and I still have a very good job, and we've paid off most of our bills and are preparing the house for my retirement. Then my badness hit.......I really feel awful, but I bought (financed) a Bernina 820 today! I love it, but why did I do this. I didn't need it....I have a Pfaff that I love, but I'm afraid if I don't get it now, I'll never have it! I'm conflicted, I want it but not sure I should keep it!!! Help, make me feel better!!!! Buyer's remorse sucks!
When was the last time your husban bought a new car/truck. Need I say more
Old 04-18-2011, 03:39 AM

Like the girls said, enjoy it it will be payed off before
you know it.It just might be your last.

Kittiebug
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that. Six weeks ago I walked into the Bernina dealer to buy a $2.00 item and saw a used 440QE calling my name. I've always wanted a Bernina. I certainly didn't need it. We've been struggling financially the last three years and even though it was a good price, it was still a lot of money. I did it anyway. I don't really regret it.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 AM

We all do this from time to time. My husband and father in law are ones who will buy on the spot so I keep my mouth shut on what I am interested in unless I really want to see it show up on the doorstep. For me this was a very conflicting thing. I was raised the daughter of a Pastor to a small church. We didn't have money to runout and buy. We grew up with enjoying looking at things and thinking 'someday' After a while that someday would come and we realized we didn't want it any longer. Sometimes our best choice is to make it a 'someday' so we we can really decide if that's worth it. Talk this over with your husband- we don't have to live with the situation but the 2 of you do.