Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I do. Why wouldn't I? If I wanted to do things by hand, I'd go back to doing counted cross stitch as I really liked that.
I was responding to the original question-

I do the same, almost all by machine, and even put the binding on by machine. I was just thinking along and that popped in my mind. I donate longarm quilting on donation quilts for hospice and Vietnam Vets for another quilter. She says she makes 200-250 quilts a year and all are a basic design because she wants to get them out there. I did not mean to imply there was anything wrong with machines.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 AM

50 quilts? That is a huge number of quilts, am lucky to get two or three completed anymore.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
Some may; however, I DO NOT. Please avail yourself of my response #101 to clarify. Thank you!
I also, do not send tops to have them quilted. I quilt them myself or tie them. I do both straight-line quilting and fmq, depending on the quilt and my mood. And yes, we could be talking 50 quilts a year some years; some years are more, up to 63, but most years are between 20 and 50 completed quilts. Why is that so hard to believe? Hundreds of people have seen them. Many people try to buy them but I do not sell them as they are made for families who have no other warmth in the winter.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I've noticed when I take a class that we all move at different speeds. We usually end class with various amounts of progress made, yet eventually everyone has a beautiful quilt top to show for their efforts. I admire the ladies that can make so many quilts, I admire the ladies that make so few. I do this for the joy it brings me and I assume that's what motivates other quilters. I don't personally understand ladies that can accomplish so much, whether it's quilting or keeping a spotless house or running a certain amount of miles a day or whatever, but that's okay.

Someone said that you wouldn't ask a painter how many paintings they'd painted. Probably some can paint really fast and others move slowly for inspiration.
Ironically, I am slow in a class, but obviously, fast at home.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM

Some people consider small wall hangings quilts. Also small baby quilts would be easy to make one a week. I am retired but have too many other interesting quilty things to just sit at the machine all the time.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
. Many people try to buy them but I do not sell them as they are made for families who have no other warmth in the winter.
Couldn't you help many more families if you took the offers of people wanting to buy? Seems to me for one quilt you sold instead of donating you could take the proceeds of 1 quilt and make 3 or 4 for donation. Unless the offers were only for $50 or less.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
Some people consider small wall hangings quilts. Also small baby quilts would be easy to make one a week. I am retired but have too many other interesting quilty things to just sit at the machine all the time.
Small wall hangings and small baby quilts are quilts. The definition of a quilt is based on the type of construction not on the size.

And for me a small piece is 10xs harder and takes longer to put together than a large piece.

I can and have recently, done a disappearing 4 patch with a twist, finished size 64 x 75, with 9 inch finish blocks in one weekend, from cutting to binding. I use a detailed pantograph for the quilting. The quilt top took me about 6 hrs to go from cutting fabric to top done. The quilting took 2 hours. And it is a real quilt. The d4p with twist means I put together a 4 patch, then cut it on the diagonal making a 9 patch. So that is 6hrs to basically make 2 different types of tops.

I move quickly in everything I do, it is natural for me. The only type of quilt pattern that slows me down is paper piecing since I am not very skilled or experienced at doing them.

I was also that person who finished those math tests before 90% of the class got half way done with them (in grad school not grade school) I am just naturally quick with things. I dont rush and am not on a deadline. I move at my own speed. I am quite able to make a quilt a week if I focus on doing it rather than playing around. I have done about 20 since January, have about 20 more to make before October, then a bunch after Oct. Because I want to do them.

I would like to caution people here. There have been numerous comments that are and have been taken to be rather rude. There are new quilters out there. People who's skills are not beyond doing a few 4 patches. The way some of these comments read to me, these new quilters could get very discouraged thinking that their quilts arent good enough to be called quilts. I honestly hope no one intended for that to be the message, but as I have read through here there are several that imply that.

A quilt is defined by websters to be: a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.

Does not say anything about pattern used, size made, style done, or type of quilting (or tying) that was done to connect the layers.

Ladies, we are all quilters here, all of us do this because we love it. All of our quilts are real quilts. Some move fast, others move slow. We should be encouraging each other, not making disparaging comments about each other.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM

Whether we make a few or many, quilt fast or slow, use simple or complicated patterns, quilt for ourselves, our family and friends or charitable organizations, at heart we are all the same, and all I can say is - God bless us, everyone!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 AM

My DD pieces hers on the machine and then sends them out for LA. It doesn't take her very long to "make a quilt" when the longest time spent on a hand pieced/hand quilted item is the time spent doing it all by hand. So, it's possible for her to "make" a lot of quilts in a year.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 AM

I've also always wondered about this... not only about the time, but also the money! Either I'm not very budget savvy, or ... well, I suppose I'm just not very savvy. I do shop at the thrift shops, but even then, one can spend the money...

I suppose it's a good thing I (REALLY) enjoy the process!!