Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: I drank the kool-aid

  1. #1
    Senior Member lisalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queen of California Baby
    Posts
    514
    Every other post I read here is, "starch this, starch that". I'm thinking alright, I guess I need to get some. Sheesh. But then I forgot about it. Then I walked into my local thrift store and what was sitting on the shelf waiting for me for a whole dollar? A brand new unused bottle of starch.

    Sweet mother of starch. I'm sorry I questioned you. For those of you who've yet to jump on the bandwagon. Run go now! You'll never look back.

  2. #2
    Super Member Leota's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,635
    we really do know what we are talking about (most of the time)

  3. #3
    Super Member b.zang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,933
    Blog Entries
    1
    I had to learn the hard way to let it dry before pressing :roll:

  4. #4
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    So, everyone, if you're starching several yards of fabric, do you ever do it in the washing machine? Or just in the sink and let it hang to dry? (I assume you don't put it in the dryer because it would leave a mess.)

    My fingers get tired of spraying...and then I usually do end up ironing while wet, which is not much fun.

  5. #5
    Super Member jemma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    adelaide /australia
    Posts
    1,394
    i am a convert was a sceptic

  6. #6
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    I had to learn the hard way to let it dry before pressing :roll:
    Why? I'm a recent believer in starch (since joining this board - another QB starch convert!) and I'm currently ironing right after starching.

  7. #7
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    So, everyone, if you're starching several yards of fabric, do you ever do it in the washing machine? Or just in the sink and let it hang to dry? (I assume you don't put it in the dryer because it would leave a mess.)

    My fingers get tired of spraying...and then I usually do end up ironing while wet, which is not much fun.
    OK ... now I see what she meant by not starching when wet. I'm not starching whole fabric - just the cut pieces. So it's no big deal.

  8. #8
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    i also have just started starching

  9. #9
    Senior Member newestnana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brick, NJ
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by newestnana
    So, everyone, if you're starching several yards of fabric, do you ever do it in the washing machine? Or just in the sink and let it hang to dry? (I assume you don't put it in the dryer because it would leave a mess.)

    My fingers get tired of spraying...and then I usually do end up ironing while wet, which is not much fun.
    OK ... now I see what she meant by not starching when wet. I'm not starching whole fabric - just the cut pieces. So it's no big deal.
    You are starching (and ironing) before cutting though, right? It keeps your cuts more accurate. I think if you starch after cutting you'd lose a lot of the benefit.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    745
    Yardage (which can be pretty small for me): I spray the heck out of it and put it in the dryer until almost dry, then iron with steam.
    Blocks: I spray and loop them across the bottom of padded coat hangers and wait as long as I can.

  11. #11
    The Creative Seamstress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    388
    All I have to say is: "MaryEllen's Best Press"!!!!! :-D I heart it so very much!

    Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

  12. #12
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,576
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE starch. probably two much. This morning while I was spraying my fabric my BIL asked me if I was planning to send my fabric to the corner. I was like ??What?? He said that fabric is going to stand in the corner on its own. lol I replied....No just cutting on the bias!

  13. #13
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalisa
    Every other post I read here is, "starch this, starch that". I'm thinking alright, I guess I need to get some. Sheesh. But then I forgot about it. Then I walked into my local thrift store and what was sitting on the shelf waiting for me for a whole dollar? A brand new unused bottle of starch.

    Sweet mother of starch. I'm sorry I questioned you. For those of you who've yet to jump on the bandwagon. Run go now! You'll never look back.
    Hilarious! Love it!

  14. #14
    Senior Member lisalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queen of California Baby
    Posts
    514
    I noticed the blade cuts through the fabric like butter if you starch before cutting.

    Seems to also help fix fmq oopsies.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,772
    Blog Entries
    50
    I don't use the yardages you people do but I love to spray Magic Sizing on all my projects when I am done. It gives them a very professional look. They look crisp and smooth.

  16. #16
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was using starch but when I had to make cut backs starch was one of the first to go.

  17. #17
    Senior Member SnowQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    652
    I haven't been starching. Is it easier to quilt, or piece with starch?

  18. #18
    Super Member sharoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,976
    OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?

  19. #19
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,890
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here's my easy-peasy method for starching yardage. I mix a solution of water and Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and "paint" the starch onto the fabric using a large wall painting brush. (My kitchen island is perfect for this task.) Once the fabric is saturated, I toss it in the dryer. Final step is to iron with steam. Sometimes I will mist with water to increase the amount of steam, but usually this is not necessary.

    My favorite solution for backing fabrics and binding fabrics is a 1:1 ratio of water to starch. I don't prewash piecing fabrics, so usually don't bother to starch those.

    It really helps to have the starch dry before ironing, as then you don't have to worry about accidentally scorching the fabric or the bottom of your iron. Steam reactivates the starch.

  20. #20
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,890
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?
    I heavily starch backing fabrics and have had no problems using 505. I do use cotton batting or 80/20 batting. Have heard that polyester battings sometimes don't stick well.

  21. #21
    Super Member sharoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?
    I heavily starch backing fabrics and have had no problems using 505. I do use cotton batting or 80/20 batting. Have heard that polyester battings sometimes don't stick well.
    Thanks! I use either cotton or 80/20, too. Do you starch your fabrics before you cut?

  22. #22
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,890
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    Thanks! I use either cotton or 80/20, too. Do you starch your fabrics before you cut?
    Absolutely. Starch stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't move when I cut. It also helps eliminate puckers when machine quilting.

  23. #23
    Super Member sharoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,976
    Well, I'm game! I'll give it a try!

  24. #24
    Super Member skydiver70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,479
    Starch, starch. starch!!!!

    Reminds me of what my Mama told about Grandma many years ago. It was while Mama still lived at home and before she married Daddy. Mama said she had been having to do the laundry most of the time for the whole family and knew how to do it and how much starch (flour and water) to use.

    But one day Grandma told her, "Now don't starch my underwear". Mama said it made her so mad, since Grandma knew she had been doing the washing for a long time. So Mama said she made the starch so thick and dipped Grandma's underwear in it and they would stand alone when they dried. Grandma never told her how to do the laundry anymore. Wonder why???? LOL

  25. #25
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,355
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoney
    OK, Everbody here starches. But I use quilters basting spray to sandwich my quilts before quilting and I read that it won't stick if the fabric is starched. Anyone?
    Totally not true, at least for me. I starch like crazy, use spray basting on both sides of the batting, and I hand baste. The spray basting is great; I love it.

    And I starch my piecing fabric before cutting, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.