Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I entered the local county fair - and won! >

I entered the local county fair - and won!

I entered the local county fair - and won!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:22 AM

WOOHOO!!
AWESOME!
Who wouldn't like your work?
You do a great job!
So happy for you!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Congratulations Eddie Your work is simply amazing.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Eddie:
Dinky, Sminky, a contest is a contest. I am sure it was very well attended too. Funny how we are all our own worst critics isn't it?? I am not suprised to hear that you won. I am with the other quilters here, you always do beautiful work!!

So what more is there to say then here is the wave for you along with CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM

Eddie, CONGRATULATIONS :) Both of your items are beautiful. I adore the cathedral windows pillow. I am not surprised at all that you won 1st place for both. You did a fine job on both the quilt and pillow. Winning should boost your confidence, and looking at items you do as though they were done by someone else is a good idea.. Congratulations, again :!: :!:
Old 09-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Way to go Eddie!! You totally deserve those blue ribbons, your work is great!!! Congratulations, and you owe your daughter something really good for "reminding" you!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Great job!! Your quilt is beautiful & love the scalloped borders!! The pillow is beautiful too. Way to go!!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM

More details regarding the sewing of the windows, please! Did you tack the 4 corners together first? Did you pin the folds back? Did you sew in a circle or in long s curves? Many thanks for any advice you can give!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Congratulations!!!! Your work is fantastic.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks again, everyone, I appreciate the comments very much. :)

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
More details regarding the sewing of the windows, please! Did you tack the 4 corners together first? Did you pin the folds back? Did you sew in a circle or in long s curves? Many thanks for any advice you can give!
Yes, I tacked the four corners together. And actually, the pattern from the book I was using had me sew all the seams wrong side out and then turn the block out the right way, and then fold and tack the corners. That took quite a while. I have since found another pattern on the internet which doesn't do that, you simply fold the fabric like the first one said to and then tack the four corners. I can see how that would go MUCH faster and to me it doesn't really seem necessary to do that inside out/sewing/turning thing because when I machine sew the windows it's going to secure all of those raw edges that are on the inside of the block. So I'm going to give that a try on my next cathedral window project.

I didn't pin the folds back before sewing, I just finger pressed them back. I did, however, cut a slight curve into the 4 edges of each piece of "glass" material to reduce bulk in that folded window. When sewing the window folds back, I just did a 1/4 window at a time, i.e., 1/4 of the entire circle. I then repositioned myself to do the next 1/4 of the same window, and so on, until all 4 sides of a single pane were done.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Congratulations Eddie! You and your family must be over the moon! If I were your wife I'd be looting your stash! LOL!