Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I found a fabric I like but...

I have seen fabrics I really liked; decided to wait till payday or some other reason to procrastinate; gone back in a week or two; and it would be gone already! I am finally learning to buy it when I see it. :lol:

I have seen fabrics I really liked; decided to wait till payday or some other reason to procrastinate; gone back in a week or two; and it would be gone already! I am finally learning to buy it when I see it. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I always thought that it went out rather quickly until I went toWal-Mart this week. There on the shelf was a stripped fabric that I had bought several years ago to make grocery bags.

Made me wonder what warehouse wal-mart picked to clear out their storage unit.

You can never have too much fabric. Buy now.

I would buy especially if it is seasonal looking. Like really spring colors. If its a privately owned shop you might stand a chance of getting it again if you ask for it. If it is a chain it would be kind of iffy. If I see something I really like I buy at least a yard.

I definately agree, buy it now because you may never find it again. I learned the hard way. So now if I find something I luv, whether i have patten in mind or not, I buy it! ;)

I am starting a class Friday. I was picking out my fabric yesterday and an associate told me that, if I was going to do the binding out of one of the materials, it would be better to get it now because the roll would go quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I agree. If u really love this fabric, then u need to get it while u can. some fabric flys out the door faster than others.. but once it is gone many shops do not reorder that design.

Much of the time shops don't have the option of reordering fabric. If it is a popular piece it is often not available for reorder. Many times they print a certain number of bolts and when it is gone thats it. Often times when a shop does reorder it takes a long time to get it back in. Most of the new fabric that shops get in was ordered 6 months ago.

If you really like it, buy it! If you don't use it right away, as in you change your mind about the quilt project you're working on, it'll keep until you get ready. I often buy fabric I've fallen in love with, get it home and decide to go in a different direction with what I have in mind. Then I rediscover my fabric and think "this would be great with...!" I don't know if I've ever had "fabric buyer's remorse" except when I didn't get a piece I really wanted adn then it was gone when I went back. :(

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I bought some fabric, and found other that I would care to buy. I am not exactly sure how I want to design the quilt. DH says I should wait until I am sure what I want to do and then get the fabric. I was wondering how long places carry fabric?? Until it runs out??
    Duct tape DH mouth and run to the fabric store! As a former shop owner, nothing made me sadder than to tell a customer that the fabric they were looking for was no longer available.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    go online and search for that fabric line and see how old it is and how readily available it is online...if you can find in several places online, then wait...you can start by googling just the makers name, or the fabric line name both should be on the selvage...
    or you can start at quiltshops.com and see how many shops show it available.( I have found that these shops are more costly than other online shops though)

had this happen if you can buy now

Blog Entries
    I would buy it while it is available. If you decide later you don't need it, you can sell it here on this board. That should appease your husband to know that it won't be wasted moneywise.

Buy it while it is the store. Also I have went back to the LQS and the material was gone. I then go on line and look for it and 99% of the time I can find it, so that is another alternative.

If I really like it I will buy at least 2 yds or more if I can think of a pattern right then that I may use it for. If I don't have complimentary fabrics in my stash, well gee, I guess I'll need to go shopping again! :)

I get fabric and then plan. I need it to plan. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Yep!! If you really like it, get 3 or 4 yards and plan around that!! :thumbup:
    This is how I do it any extra becomes stash

:thumbup:

BUY IT NOW! I thought about it for far too long once and went back and it was gone. I had to search the internet for the fabric and then only found bits and pieces.

My recommendation is, if you see something you love buy it now.

I have learned when I see it and like it get it. Sometimes you wait and go back and it is gone and find out there will be no more.

I'm in the buy at least a yard of it, and if you have something in mind buy more. It seems if I don't use it in a project right away it finds it's way into a different project anyway!

It's a crap shoot. My friends own a quilt pattern design company (ToadUSew) and have been burned a couple of times by the company whose fabric they used for kits deciding to quit a line while they still had more customers buying the kit so they had to substitute.

I am in the process of finally finishing up a larger than king size Twirling Patchwork quilt for my daughter, 100 blocks, didn't have enough fabric so I had to add different ones in some of the blocks. Looks okay but I really thought I had enough of the one fabric I needed. Always buy when you see what you like and buy more than you need....take it from experience!

Blog Entries
    This is one time to ignore your DH's opinion. LOL I buy fabric I like when I see it and usually buy more fabric when I have a project in mind.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the question is how long will it be before they run out? If it was me, I would buy asap, especially if I really like it.

Blog Entries
    you will regret it if you don't get it now. You will use it for something at some point, and if not, you will be able to admire it as part of your stash. My stash is full of fabric I fell in love with and don't have any particular plans for, but I know I will use it sometime. If you wait to long, it will be gone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast