Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was given tons of fabric, but many of it I do not know what it is need help >

I was given tons of fabric, but many of it I do not know what it is need help

I was given tons of fabric, but many of it I do not know what it is need help

Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 AM

what happens if you wash chintz?
and, the polished cotton feels almost like flannel?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Omak.. I always thought of Chintz as being a heavier version of polished cotton.. usually used for curtains and upholstery type things. And they are both still cotton.. but the finish is not lost on polished cotton when washed, it still retains a sheen. Way back when there was also "cotton satin" another shiny version of a cotton finish. Pima cotton is another version, very light weight with a different length of fiber and has a bit of a sheen on both sides. pretty much reversable
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM

I have sold some but it is hard to sell if you don't know what it is and how much to sell it for. I have some gorgeous Brocade with butterfly on it. Not sure what I can do with it. Hope to learn how to quilt where my squares match up. then I hope to do a dinner plate quilt. You guys have given me alot ideals. this is half of the fun to see what You come up with. I know I need to get some organization going to see just what I have . and Yes my brother has a big heart.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM

I booked marked each site. Thank you again. I feel your love for quilting and for others. I can not thank you guy enough.Have a bless day. for you have Blessed me.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM

I want to thank everyone , I did use the burn test on a lot of the fabric I had. I was bummed out for a few days most of it is poly and not cotton. Maybe a blend with cotton. I am back to the drawing board. What to do with it. I want to use only cotton in my quilts. I do have friends who sew for a living and willing to give me there scraps. God opened a window so his light could filled my heart with peace.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
I want to thank everyone , I did use the burn test on a lot of the fabric I had. I was bummed out for a few days most of it is poly and not cotton. Maybe a blend with cotton. I am back to the drawing board. What to do with it. I want to use only cotton in my quilts. I do have friends who sew for a living and willing to give me there scraps. God opened a window so his light could filled my heart with peace.
Tote bags and purses are good ways to use fabric that isn't 100% cotton. There are a jillion patterns available for both.

Tote bags make great gifts for all the little kids in your life! Even little boys can appreciate a "tractor" bag to haul toys around in.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I went through my mom's fabric too - and picked out only the cotton.

My sister and I were going through boxes of fabric -

We lit a candle - then put the candle and an ash tray in/on a large metal cake pan - I had a pitcher of water handy, too - just in case.

I snipped off a piece of fabric about 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long - held it with tweezers over the candle until it flamed

Most man-made fibers (I think rayon might be an exception) burn with black smoke. Like others have said, they will either make very hot globs or leave a hard or crispy ash.

THE RESIDUE FROM MAN-MADE FIBERS ALSO STAYS HOT LONGER THAN THE COTTON RESIDUE after the flame goes out.

I know this because I just had to feel the ash before it cooled down. And got sore fingers.

Cotton always leaves an ash that literally powders in one's fingers. So does wool. I don't know anything about silk or linen.

Wool has a different smell from cotton.

Nothing wrong with using whatever works in a piece.

My personal preference is to keep the weights and fiber contents about the same, but other than that - - -

Some cotton poly blends are lovely and stay nice for years. (There are some that are not so nice, too)

Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
It is fine to be a purist and only want cotton, but there is also something to be said for using what you have to make practical items.
The totes are an absolutely wonderful idea ...
but, I have to tell you that if I need a color, or I need fabric, I will use whatever I have.
The biggest reason to need to know which is cotton and which is polyesther is: when you set the seams ... poly does not play nice with a hot iron :?
I have found some amazing poly that seems to handle the hot iron just fine, as witnessed by a recent Day Camp we had, and I forgot to mention to the "iron lady" that you might want to keep an eye out for such and such fabric ... however ... I even forgot to tell my "sewing ladies" and no one seemed to have any problems at all!
When I use poly in a quilt, it is always best to use the pieces fairly quickly, since they have a tendency to string off, if left to their own devices ... although ... with the blends, doesn't seem to be a problem, either.
If you really choose not to use the poly fabric, Project Linus, or any other organization that makes charity quilts will use what you donate - - and, be glad for it. :wink:
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM

You could make a bunch of tote bags and sell them. May in Jersey
Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM

What a fabulous brother you have!!! So wonderful to try to help you out like that. You are truly blessed!!