Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess I knew I would do this sooner or later...

I have developed a bad habit with my rotary cutter. I lock the blade open when I'm cutting and then lay it down. I knew sooner or later I would cut myself. I just did. I barely bumped it with my knuckle....doesn't help that its a new blade either. At least its not worse just a little knick. But I will not be leaving the blade open anymore!

Power Poster
    Bleeds well - at least you know it will be a "clean" cut.

Pam
    I did that, too. Glad we both had small cuts! Darlin', that is gonna hurt tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Some of us just need to learn some lessons the hard way... glad that it wasn't a bad cut!!!
    I too find that I forget to close the blade sometimes :oops: I guess I should look into a new one that closes automatically!!!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you got a cut. I like the ergonomic cutters because they close when you let go.

Be glad you didn't knock it off the table onto your foot. A friend of mine ended up having two surgeries -- the first one to repair the cut tendon and the second one to fix what the first one didn't.

Sorry about you getting cut! What a hard way to learn a lesson!!

Ah well...its just one more scar to add to my hands. I am extremely rough on them...to the point dh has threatened to not let me near knives! lol! Three years ago I cut the same finger on a buck knife....that one hurt. We had to glue it together after it finally quit bleeding. This one will be easy after that. But lesson learned! I just hate the little lock button this cutter. When I lay it down it halfway presses in so its a pain to open....and the reason I lock it open. If it didn't have that little button it would be nice....wonder if it can be drilled out?

Been there, done that and I still haven't learned. I catch myself with the blade open when not in use more often than not.

Unless you're absolutely in love with that particular cutter and couldn't ever use another one, I'd suggest getting one that has an easier button. I use the ergonomic Fiskars, and it is very easy to open and close the blade. Also, Fons & Porter's rotary cutter is always "closed", until you start to cut with it. I wasn't thrilled with that one because of the straight handle, but it is a great safety measure.

Been there, done that. Recently burnt myself on the iron too Kept telling myself not to reach around it, that i would burn myself. And I did.

Blog Entries
    DH says the rotary cutter is like having a switchblade knife and is probably illegal to conceal. I wonder if tucked away in my sewing tote in the car is concealment? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie6
    I have developed a bad habit with my rotary cutter. I lock the blade open when I'm cutting and then lay it down. I knew sooner or later I would cut myself. I just did. I barely bumped it with my knuckle....doesn't help that its a new blade either. At least its not worse just a little knick. But I will not be leaving the blade open anymore!
    I actually sliced off a piece of my finger tip a few weeks back. I was doing some cutting and I was tired but I wanted to finish up.I THOUGHT my finger was out of the way.......Boy am I careful now!

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Sorry you got a cut. I like the ergonomic cutters because they close when you let go.
    Do you have to grip anything to get them to open, or is it on a spring? Because if it is on a spring, the blade would still cut your foot if it landed on it.

When I started a quilting class for a couple of co-workers I insisted they get a self-closing cutter and, told them my #1 rule is not to work with sharp objects when tired. One of them did buy a kit that contained another type of cutter plus she bought the one I suggested. When I asked to see the one that came in the kit, it slipped out of my hand and bounced on the table onto the floor. Certainly did hammer the lesson home!

Aw, hugs! Glad it wasnt a bad cut!

Blog Entries
    I'm guilty of never closing my blade. Knock on wood, I've never had a mishap in 15 years, but I really need to get in the habit of closing it.

I have just gotten into the habit of closing my blade when I set it down every time, ( I'm kind of proud of that...) I read an article on a retreat with Eleanor Burns, maybe three months ago... and it said something to the effect'... whether she's gliding through the class collecting quarters for blades left open...' I think about that every time I cut something now; who would've thought that would be the thing to make me be more careful?!

Blog Entries
    I have very strong fingernails, and when I saw what the blade did to one of my nails I thought "that would have been 5x worse on my bare finger". I now close the blade every time. One of my cutters has a guard that moves when you press down on the blade, and that one is guaranteed safe when you lay it down. But not the others...so I'm real careful!!

Blog Entries
    ouch, be careful!

Blog Entries
    My friend knocked one off the table, and it hit her ankle, and she didn't realize it had cut her, she had to go to the emergency room because she lost so much blood, she almost passed out.

I keep having nightmares about this. Thank goodness it wasn't any worse.

Why is it when we are suppose to do something we don't until we hurt ourselves. Lucky it was a small knick. I have also done this very same stunt. I guess it is true,
    Practice what we preach. Close the blade when done, Every time.

Blog Entries
    It is also possible to cut yourself when the guard is ON!
    I had my cutter laying on the table with the blade side up and the guard on. I pushed some things out of my way and bushed my hand across the cutter and shaved a good thick piece of skin from my finger. I guess the lesson there is to keep your cutting table free of clutter.

Yikes! All the stories of rotary cutting accidents are making me think about my own work with using a rotary cutter.

I try to remember to close the blade, but I sometimes I don't. Maybe your accident is a wake-up call for all of us. Thanks for the post.

I also have promised myself that if it is after 10:00 pm, I won't cut with a rotary cutter, just too tired! LOL...

Sorry you cut yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast