Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate quilting! >

I hate quilting!

I hate quilting!

Old 03-10-2021, 04:27 AM

Unhappy I hate quilting!

I hate the quilting part of this hobby. My DMS has the "normal" throat space so I end up wrestling with the quilt. Don't have room for long or mid arm quilting and not sure I have the creative talent to invest in a machine. Even wrestling with lap size quilts is a pain. Seems the only quilting I'm able to manage is fancy straight line quilting.

After I finish piecing I do the Gib's smack and think why didn't I plan for quilt as you go?

Don't get me wrong. I love love the process of creating the tops. Choosing a pattern, the fabric, cutting, sewing the blocks and finally seeing the quilt coming alive. And yes...love sewing the binding on.

I'm almost done with this quilt and have two more glue basted waiting for me. Right now the only thing that keeps me going is I'm committed to sewing for Project Linus.

OK...thank you for the rant. Back to the machine. (I really just have to rotate in my chair and there the quilt and machine sits waiting for me,)
Old 03-10-2021, 04:39 AM

I feel your pain. It's not my favorite part either. Sometimes I really debate about getting it done by check. But then the pride of doing it myself kicks in and I get to quilting. There are friends who love the quilting part. It would be nice to have a dedicated quilter machine off to the side but, I have heard it just builds up stuff also. So for now, it's get about 8-10 tops, then clear off the table and get to quilting. Not so bad once I get started. Kind of fun right in the middle, then Yeah! They are done.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:39 AM

Do you have a LQS nearby that will rent you time on their long arm? I don't do quilting on my large quilts but do enjoy the smaller ones. I also belong to a hand quilting group and get to do one or two larger ones each year.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:47 AM

The money I pay to my longarmer is about the same as what I would pay to my Chiropractor to put me back together minus the pain. Quilting by Check is my method to solve the problem for larger quilts. The wall and baby quilts I can manage. Keeps me happy and my longarmer in business.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:57 AM

I feel your pain, Julie. For a good number of years, I wished and wished for a long arm, but don't have the money or space, but about 3 years ago, I bought a 20" sit down Bailey, I absolutely love it, and it didn't cost an arm and leg. But, the bigger quilts CAN be done on a dsm, I did a over sized king on one years ago, and now can't image how I managed to do it. LOL
Old 03-10-2021, 05:31 AM

i know quilts of valor will accept just flimsys, no need to quilt. does project linus do the same? you could spend more time doing the enjoyable part of quilting while still getting that internal reward.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:17 AM

You could tie your Project Linus quilts if DMQ isn't working for you. I do FMQ on my domestic and I like the actual quilting on the machine of it but do not like putting the backing, batting and top together to ready it for the machine. I've also starting hand quilting again on small projects as I have the time to do it now and it is kind of relaxing. You'll find your niche.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 AM

I keep saying the same things. I do hopefully intend to do quilt as you go soon but have several tops to put together that have been waiting in the wings for years! So onward and upward we go!!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:47 AM

we have a lady who periodically shows up at guild meetings (oops not this past year...meeting via zoom) with "quilts of velour" flimizies in a bag with batting, backing cut to size, binding, and a label. Then asks for longarms to finish. It was a great way to get experience when I first got my long-arm. Everything just ready to load on the machine and off I went. There are people out their that love the quilting part. Can you find a friend or someone who loves that part? You can make the tops, she or he can quilt them....trade a top for quilting one or two (quilting on a longarm usually takes less time then piecing)
Old 03-10-2021, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Julie, I hear ya. My quilting is better with practice but still not that good. I used to hand quilt and sometimes still do but I'm trying to get better at machine work. I love piecing.