Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been asked to donate.. >

I have been asked to donate..

I have been asked to donate..

Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM

My guild has a silent auction every 2 years and it is very sucessful with small items like quilted table runners, pot holders, place mats. Pillow cases and aprons do well and quilted totes and bags also. It seems like every one likes small items for gifts.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by gertz View Post
I am donating one for a silent auction and we are allowed to put the value of the quilt and donation is tax deductible. I am putting $300.00 as the value and we shall see what happend.
Now that is worth noting. Goodwill gives us a receipt as well as other places we donate to, so I can do that. To me it really isn't about what I have in it as much as the family asked me to and I am honored to help in anyway. Having said that I am being very careful about my cost. As others have said, it may make sense to donate the money, but then the family didn't ask me to do that, they asked for a quilt for the auction. That they will get. I also plan to have a few smaller items as suggested to donate. Anything I can do to help them raise money for the medical bills I am happy to do graciously.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Aren't we funny sometimes? We're willing to spend $100 on materials and 40 or more hours on a 'donation guilt' - but we aren't willing to write a check out for $50 to the same organization.
This part of WE will always write a check instead of throwing away a hundred dollars.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Well, I think I've come up with a way to handle all this--my church is having a regular auction and I'm donating a quilt--but I also plan to bid on it at least at the amount that I know it cost to make/quilt. I plan to claim the material and quilting amount on my taxes for charity and feel my labor is my "work of love" and I won't mind bringing home my own quilt if I actually win it! But with regular auctions, I know that sometimes that bigger bid prompts others to also go higher if they really want it--which is what I hope happens!
And that's the way I'd do it.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
well then i guess i'm "stupid" for putting charity above my ego
I don't think it's about ego. Many of us have to scrimp and save, and to have our investment of time and money bring in less than we put into it is heartbreaking. Not only that, but the charity loses, too, and here's how:
Let's say someone hires a band to put on a concert. That person says to the charity, "you can have all the proceeds of the concert." The concert cost, let's say $5000 for the band and the venue. We haven't even added in the cost of promotion, which was only about a month prior to the concert. Not enough time. Anyway, the ticket sales were under a thousand dollars. So the concert goes in the hole over $4000; the promoter, who wanted to benefit the charity, was a nice guy, but the charity would have been better served by the $5000 instead of the few hundred that they gained. I know, because I am an officer of that charity. This is a true story.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Aren't we funny sometimes? We're willing to spend $100 on materials and 40 or more hours on a 'donation guilt' - but we aren't willing to write a check out for $50 to the same organization.
Speaking for myself, I spend plenty on my charity of choice, a little each month. I bet lots of us do.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I feel a whole lot the same way. Plus people that couldn't otherwise afford to pay full price for a lovely, hand made item get a chance to own something nice and help out a cause at the same time.
Maybe I am selfish, then. I'm not spending my money and my time to let folks have nice things at a fraction of the price I spend. I'm sure you could find buyers for that kind of deal all day long.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 AM

Maybe you could put a quilt in with a "reserve". If I were to ever donate a quilt again, I would do that. Some, I would have gladly bought back, rather than see them essentially given away for sooooo much less than they are worth. Live and learn. Think of it as spending $300 to have them get back $75. Plus I can't imagine that if you were willing to spend several hundred on a quilt, the charity wouldn't rather have that than a fraction of that! Up to you.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 10-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 AM

The simplest way for a group to handle a silent auction is to allow a starting bid. If someone spent $125 making an item, they ought to be allowed to ask that the $125 be the opening bid. If no bids above that, then the item should return to the giver.

Some items I make wouldn't have a starting bid, but the angel pillow (which I bid $5 on myself and got back) had a $9 pillow form in it. And that does not count the fabric & time.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
The simplest way for a group to handle a silent auction is to allow a starting bid. If someone spent $125 making an item, they ought to be allowed to ask that the $125 be the opening bid. If no bids above that, then the item should return to the giver.
I agree, 100%! If people want "nice things" from a fund-raising event, they should at least be willing to pay the cost of actual production.