Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have been defeated........BY SCRAPS!

I am teaching a mystery quilt class next week and have chosen a scrap quilt. I am taking my own scraps for everyone to use. The blocks we make will go together for a "Child Delight" quilt. It will go to a child just entering the foster care system. So 2 good things will come of this - I will have a lot less scraps to deal with - and hopefully we will make a child or two happy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milly's Mom
    You might take a look at this site for a local place in your state for the donation of your quilts...

http://www.missionfinder.org/orphanages.htm

I am going to my first meeting in my area Saturday for Project Linus. You can do a search on www.projectlinus.org to find your area locations. They have donated fabric as well as you can donate the quilts you have made. The website can tell you the size most needed in your area. The website has patterns available for quilting, crocheting and knitting.

I vote for the D9P for a scrappy quilt!! I also learned about them here and just love how a scrappy D9P looks. If you don't have enough large pieces for the squares, just sew a bunch of the scraps together and then cut the squares and proceed. It would make it nice and scrappy.
    I am making scrappy D9P quilts for my 10 mo. old grand daughters and appliqued butterflies, and other things on some of the big squares after the quilt tops were sewn together. they are turning out quite nicely.

You may have already seen this site, quiltville.com. I am excited about it. All the quilts are scrap quilts.

I am curious....what size do you consider a "scrap"

I think you are only "defeated" when you can no longer get in the room they are stored in. Sounds like you are well on your way to getting the scrap population under control. Can't wait to see pics of your creations! Happy Scrapping!

So nice to see young people 'making something out of nothing."

Just think of how much more fun you have in that stash.

Donation is a good thing.

Keep looking....and sewing.

Charismah, If you love scrappy, have you checked out Bonnie Hunter at
    Quiltville.com I get so inspired looking at all the scrappy quilts she does.

:mrgreen: You are not alone my dear.I look at my scraps when feeling blue and I feel as though I just went shopping and spent a million bucks and here all long it was free and I didnt spend a dime.I dont throw anything out that can be used to make something else to be used.Smile and enjoy your scraps.Quilt n frenz :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie
    I am curious....what size do you consider a "scrap"
    I actually keep everything except salvage.
    My BFF swear I lived through the depression because I am infamous for saving things because I know I will use it. I am getting better at getting rid of some things now but other things like fabric I can't part with. I grew up poor so we used every bit of everything and we never wasted food....lol.

those little one inch peices are good for applique and paper peicing..plus I Just saw a tutorial on those scrappy flowers I am going to try them out..cause I am just sure I will love it! :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewhappy57
    Charismah, If you love scrappy, have you checked out Bonnie Hunter at
    Quiltville.com I get so inspired looking at all the scrappy quilts she does.
    That Blog is actually saved in my favorites...has been for quite some time! :D

I do go there when i need ideas!

But I have so many scrappy quilts swirling in my head and sewing room right now that I am just trying to stay focused!

I told you you let them get to the air ... and, that is just the way it happens!
    As far as donating them ... I am a member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Ephrata, Washington ... I can help you find veterans to donate the quilt/quilt tops to ... I can find you Project Linus, I have a visiting nurse who will personally deliver quilts to hospitalized veterans in nursing homes ...
    I also know of a welcome basket program for new babies born to military families ...
    Let me know where your heart is, and I can find you the destination .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I told you you let them get to the air ... and, that is just the way it happens!
    As far as donating them ... I am a member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Ephrata, Washington ... I can help you find veterans to donate the quilt/quilt tops to ... I can find you Project Linus, I have a visiting nurse who will personally deliver quilts to hospitalized veterans in nursing homes ...
    I also know of a welcome basket program for new babies born to military families ...
    Let me know where your heart is, and I can find you the destination .
    Thanks Omak..as soon as I get them quilted..I will call you. Well actually I have someone from Project linus come..but I think I will have a few more. Hey if you want some unfinshed quilt tops for someone to quilt I have a few of those....I have a queen I bought from someone it is really pretty scalloped edges and what not--I got really inexpensive and thought I could quilt it one day to donate..so let me know and I will give you some finished tops/unquilted tops if you want them. :-)

I will take them in a heartbeat!
    If they are too big for the hospitals/nursing homes, I can use them for fund raisers for the Post for our projects for veterans, children and youth, and the community.

I will be at the Post with the Girl Scout Day Camp from 8:00 through 4: on Saturday 11-14 ... or we will get together some other time.
    Thank you in advance!

Not to worry, make yourself a warm cup of tea to go, drive yourself to your fave LQS and buy 15 yds of the prettiest fabric you see. Take a 2 day vacation in your sewing romm and call us in the morning!!! This is a sure fire way to deal with scraps!!!!! teehee

Quote Originally Posted by betlinsmom
    Not to worry, make yourself a warm cup of tea to go, drive yourself to your fave LQS and buy 15 yds of the prettiest fabric you see. Take a 2 day vacation in your sewing romm and call us in the morning!!! This is a sure fire way to deal with scraps!!!!! teehee
    LOL ... oh, too funny! :lol:
    It started snowing about three hours ago ... and, I am thinking: I am sure glad I have been storing fabrics for DECADES waiting to get snowed in. Maybe this year! :wink:

What part of the start of Washington do you live in? My son lived in Seattle for 2-3 years and they got snow there, which is quite rare, I think. He had his car on the street as it was to icy to go anywhere last Christmas, and it was hit at least 5 times, and people left him notes or called him about it to let him know about it.

I live in north central Washington, across the Cascades from Seattle, though I was born and raised on the west side of Washington state.
    You are correct ... snow in Seattle is rare, and when it happens, no one is prepared for it, no one knows how to drive in it ... and, trust me!
    Even people who KNOW snow have never driven in that awful white stuff on the west side of Washington state and NW Oregon.
    The snow is complicated by the fact that it is very wet, and very heavy ... not like most places receive snow, which is usually dry.

I can believe it would be hard to drive in the wetter snow. Wouldn't that be a lot like sleet? I am used to dry snow, I grew up in Michigan ( 1 st knuckle of thering finger, left hand) If you can follow that. When you are from the lower penninsula of Michigan, one can use the left hand as a map to show places in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    I can believe it would be hard to drive in the wetter snow. Wouldn't that be a lot like sleet? I am used to dry snow, I grew up in Michigan ( 1 st knuckle of thering finger, left hand) If you can follow that. When you are from the lower penninsula of Michigan, one can use the left hand as a map to show places in Michigan.
    Well, that is the most interesting way to tell places I have ever heard! Cool!
    it is more like driving in cold nose drainage, than sleet ... sleet is ice balls , but I might just be splitting hairs, eh? LOL

What a way to describe it!!!! Here in central Indiana, we get some snow, and a lot of rain in the winter. Not enough snow to shovel usually. The winter after we moved down here, 78, we had a blizzard and the business in the downtown in our town were closed for 5 days. Grocery stores were rationing milk.
    Snow here is a 4 letter word. When SNOW storms are forcasted for here, everyone panics and goes to the stores to buy milk and bread. I worked on the bakery of our Kroger and one year they forcasted a big snow for the day after New Year's Day. That night when I went in to bake bread, I had 1 loaf of raisin bread on my shelves. The rest was all gone. Thy bought bread, frozen bread dough, canned biscuits and all the milk. Extra deliveries of milk were delivered. The storm passed us by.

If you decide to make snowmen, moose, or other caractures, you can piece together their faces and it gives them more personality.
    Just a thought.
    Marla

Go to PatSpeth.com and she has some free patterns for scrap material. Plus.....Her books on 'Nickle Quilts" is great and a talented and wonderful speaker for any group. Have Fun!!!!

Welcome to the board Jeaanne.

Thanks, I hope this web site I mentioned will help you, it sure did me, now I can use all the scraps that my dear friend who passed away several years ago left to me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast