Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have confused myself....help! >

I have confused myself....help!

I have confused myself....help!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM

This is a great explanation. I think I've been doing it wrong...with the selvedges on the side. :roll:

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if you're cutting straight strips ...

if the selvages are to one side, the you are cutting "up" the length of the fabric. (warp) this is the way i prefer to cut if i'm doing strip piecing (sewing lots of long strips together to cut apart later). they don't stretch as much while i'm sewing them together, and i have a wee bit of stretch after they're cut apart. that comes in handy if i need to ease something to fit.

if the selvages are to the top, then you are cutting across the width of fabric (woof/weft). i prefer to cut this way when i'm going to cut the strips into triangles. just because ... :lol:
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM

The selvage sides should line up together. The fold in in the center. Cut away your selvages before you cut your strips or anything, It saves time. the threads that run paralle to the selvage edges are called the warp threads and are the strongest.They are what is called the grain. The threads that run perpendicular to the selvages are called the weft threads. You can remember this easily by remembering "weft to right". These threads can be weaker and should not be considered cutting on the grain, they are the crossgrain. If you are cutting on the diagonal then you are cutting at a 45 degree angle to the warp and weft which is called the bias.
warp = grain, weft = crossgrain, bias = 45 degree diagonal of warp and weft
When cutting strips I cut on the weft by placing the fold on a cutting line and using a 24" ruler, cut in 2 1/2" long strips that will be approximately 42" long each.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

This has a drawing that might help:

http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/p/fabricgrain.htm

I prefer to make my first cuts parallel to the selvage - because then I figure at least two edges of a right angled quadrangle piece will be on the straight of grain.

By the way - there is crosswise grain AND lengthwise grain.
Generally, the lengthwise grain (parallel to the selvage) is less stretchy than the crosswise grain.