Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a problem, help!!!!! >

I have a problem, help!!!!!

I have a problem, help!!!!!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

WOW, I would first consider if this is what you both really want. Traveling maybe 3 to 6 months a year might be fun but I don't think I would want to be on the road all the time. Gas prices are slowly rising so make sure you you analyze all the pros and cons. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Evy

We lived in a 38' 5th wheel trailer for almost two years. Mostly in one place and loved it. Prior to that an RV was home away from home while we traveled with our jobs for several years, moving every few months. You will be amazed what you can do without and how little time you spend on cleaning. Ours did have a good deal of storage space and admittedly I did not have a huge stash collection or more than one sewing machine at the time. The parks are not expensive and most of the people are very friendly. We were mostly in the southern states and spent a good deal of time outside and it helps if you really enjoy being with your spouse. Good luck. Don't over stress with worrying about what might happen, just go for it and enjoy the freedom it will bring.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't sound like a good solution for you, a woman with a quilting hobby.... My gut feeling is that you should find another apartment and try out the traveling with a 'home base' to come back to. You may not love it all that much after all. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 05:01 AM

....so many things to consider - not only your quilting.....health problem could develop, mechanical problem with vehicle, planning routes, stay overs, food/ supply shopping spots......not for me, I want my nest to be in the same tree, I may fly away for awhile, but need the security of permanent.....I don't mean to be a downer, all the advise given on this thread is really worth discussing thoroughly.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 AM

These have been some really good comments. I have had a 5th wheel and now have a motorhome. We travel for months at a time and then go back home. Passport America http://passportamerica.com/ is a discount camping site that will cut your camping fees in half. Camping can go from as little as $10 a night to over $100, if you are in a pricey resort. There are many campgrounds that offer a monthly fee that is at least 50% less than their regular nightly fee. Some have specials for staying a week. You will have to call & ask what the fee is at each campground you are planning to visit.

I love the traveling, but, also, love going home. 5th wheels do have a lot of storage. My stash is much too large to even think about moving out of my house. Some people absolutely love being on the road, others hate it after the first little bit. I truly agree that you should rent or borrow or whatever you have to do to test the waters before you commit to a lifelong journey in an RV.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 AM

.....not only your quilting space but health issues could pop up, mechanical problems with vehicle, route planning, set up reservations in advance, supply and food shopping, gas prices......oh I'm tired just thinking about all that. I personally want my nest to be in a deeply rooted tree, I may fly away for awhile, but I want to be able to come back and feel safe....
Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 AM

I lived and travel in a motor home for almost 10 years. It was a little cheaper back then but we were also on a very limited budget. We both enjoyed it and met so many lovely people. We did have some of our stuff in storage. You just make room for what you want and do not give up quilting as you will not be on the road all the time.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:53 AM

For: My folks did this but not because they thought it would be a cheaper life style, it isn't.
They bought their 5th wheel several years before dad retired and lived in it on some acreage where dad built a big shop/storage/2nd bedroom. The day after he put his last day in at work they were off. For 9 years! It was glorious and mom had tons of good memories

On the sad side, they did put stuff in storage, which was flooded in one of those 100 year storms, by the time they got back to it everything was just fungus and mold.

Not for: All that said...A good 5th wheel is expensive. They have care problems you don't usually discover until the damage is done. How many blue tarps do you see over RVs sitting in someone's driveway? It is because they often leak. If you are thinking used, there won't be any dealer service for back up.

How big is your pickup? It takes a big engine to pull that weight, and be very careful not to stuff every compartment full. Not even of fabric Fabric is heavy dead weight.
You will get about 10-12 miles to the gallon on the road. If your goal is 300 miles away that is about $100-120.00 dollars in fuel for that day.

Have I said traveling is expensive? Forest service camps are inexpensive but also mostly dry camps with no power.
So you'll be using up your propane rapidly, is that an expense you've factored in?

I'm only saying this because you indicate you are already strapped for ready cash. It is a wonderful dream, but it can be nightmareish on a pinched budget. A mid-range campground w/hook ups will run $30-40 a night.

Lots of people snow bird in their RVs, they find a place they like in the sun and stay in one spot for some months. My folks loved the KOA in Wickenburg Arizona.

If you decide to do it, as mentioned above, kit some projects, maybe 10 maximum and get rid of the balance. stash value is practically nil when you need to get rid of it, a sad fact people are just beginning to recognize. If you have time start listing it here...

I really do wish you all the luck and fun in the world, but better to know the pitfalls before you pull out.

Oh, there is also a number of website that will set you up with campgrounds where you can get paid while staying, or barter for rent. https://www.google.com/search?q=Yuma...per+employment
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Thank you all so much for replying to my thread. We have decide against it for many reasons, maybe it was a pipe dream. My heart is broken just the same. At least I won't have to get rid of my fabric. There's an up side to everything I guess. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:42 AM

We have friends that are doing this but she doesn't quilt. They also have a home base-their daughter in Calif. One thing I thought of is that as we get older, what happens then? My in-laws finally had to give up their RV because they got too old and had health issues to deal with. It is something to think about.