Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hope I'm not the first one to do this! >

I hope I'm not the first one to do this!

I hope I'm not the first one to do this!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Don't worry, there is more fabric at the store.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Join the club, I have done that on occasion also
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 AM

Not to worry! Just take some time to think about possible solutions. You really don't come of age as a quilter until you make a few messes!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I would take a photo of it and keep it nearby in a fixer upper bin. I have a fixer upper bin for the wonky mess fabric and one for my computer. When I come across an article or whatever I toss it into my fixer upper. I email the photo to myself and the folders you have on your computer for whatever subjects move to there. That way I have the source and subject at hand. No you're not the only one that does this or absolutely not the first to do this.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Did that yesterday! I sewed my squares to the ends of 2x5 rectangles (making butterflies) and sewed the bottom one on all the squares the wrong way (chain pieced) and even trimmed off the excess before I noticed it! Routed through my excess to come up with enough rectangles and started doing the same thing - wrong again!!! Thankfully I checked before I chained too many of them and didn't have to spend too much time ripping seams.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM

I bought some beautiful fabric once to make a twin size Eleanor Burns pattern. I was new and did not read the pattern first. Started cutting and sewing away. Got the blocks finished and realized this was definitely not what I wanted at all. For some reason, the twin size blocks were 16" and the twin quilt was 90" long, the same as a King. It looks awful ! Everyone who sees it can see it looks weird. So it's sitting there while I think of what to do with it, just made me sick to think I spent all that money for this quilt and now I have to cut it all up, probably will make two lap quilts out of it. But I learned a valuable lesson: read the pattern first ! The lap, full, and Queen all had 12" blocks and that was what I liked so much. I could have designed my own twin quilt or made the lap instead of following the directions and making this *&@%$ quilt top. As you said, this is a learning experience.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Bless your heart. I can share your pain. We all try to be so careful and it's so very frustrating when we make a mistake like that. My secret for handling stress like that: I allow myself to feel rotten and/or to cry for an hour -- then make myself get up, dust myself off and start all over again. I think it's not healthy to totally deny we feel upset about a mistake, so once we acknowledge it we've got more strength to dig in and fix what we can.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM

I hope I can use the title and author name of a book I received as a gift. I am way off the middle of the quilter's bell design curve and this book turned on a lot of lights for me as well as making me feel a lot better about my personal "wonky"-ness. CREATE YOUR OWN FREE-FORM QUILTS by Rayna Gillman. The things she can do with a rotary cutter!

Take a look at the book. I hope it helps you too.

Pat

Last edited by w1613s; 05-27-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Brain slipped
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM

and then of course, even when your read the pattern first only to discover when you are almost done, that the pattern is WRONG
Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I bought some beautiful fabric once to make a twin size Eleanor Burns pattern. I was new and did not read the pattern first. Started cutting and sewing away. Got the blocks finished and realized this was definitely not what I wanted at all. For some reason, the twin size blocks were 16" and the twin quilt was 90" long, the same as a King. It looks awful ! Everyone who sees it can see it looks weird. So it's sitting there while I think of what to do with it, just made me sick to think I spent all that money for this quilt and now I have to cut it all up, probably will make two lap quilts out of it. But I learned a valuable lesson: read the pattern first ! The lap, full, and Queen all had 12" blocks and that was what I liked so much. I could have designed my own twin quilt or made the lap instead of following the directions and making this *&@%$ quilt top. As you said, this is a learning experience.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM

One time I cut yardage in half to make a backer & sewed the two edges I just cut.
I'm not the brightest light on the porch but can make a pretty quilt sometimes.