Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Just Bought a Featherwieght!! >

I Just Bought a Featherwieght!!

I Just Bought a Featherwieght!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM

You will love it!!! I bought mine full price from Sears and have never regretted paying the money.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Great catch!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

I never get that lucky---my cousin got our Granny's and I would die for one. Glad you got one---you will love it.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

My dad still has my Grandmas Treadle and I am going over now to look at it, since I am curious now what it is like :lol:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM

I love my featherweights and I'm sure you will love yours too.
They are just like timex watches...they take a licking and keep on ticking...er, stitching.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I couldn't help myself, my SIL found it for me and asked if I wanted it and she got it for $25 with case and accessories. It is really a nice machine according to her and I will have it in my possession in a few weeks when I run down to see her and my BIL for the weekend of his B-day!!

The deals are out there you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Billy
Wow!! You got an amazing deal. I thought I did well at our local Goodwill when I scored one for $39. I bought it the same day it came in, so I agree with the right place, right time theory. Next best score was at an estate sale, where I got the machine and the table for $75.00.
Worst was on eBay, where I paid over $200. and the dealer didn't practice full disclosure about the condition. Fortunately these are easy machines to service and repair. I highly recommend getting a copy (repro) of the original service manual if your machine doesn't come with one.
You will love your machine...great also when traveling. Have fun!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I"ve got the Featherweight that I bought in 1956, used. Have the buttonhole and thre zig zag attachments, and the attwachmentds that came with it. It is in perfect condition . I"ve always wondered what to ask for it if I decided to sell.
Well, certainly more than $25. unless you want to make someone really happy! I just sold/ bartered for one of mine, a good friend, and we agreed $150. was a fair price for both of us. She paid part cash and a lovely big Longaberger sewing basket for the rest.

We both came away happy.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 AM

It's a lightweight machine made by Singer from 1936 (or thereabouts) thru the 50s. It will never say "featherweight" on the machine itself as it's name was actually 221 model. Made or aluminimum, it weighs about 11lbs, comes in a black tolex covered case that looks like an old record case (45rpms). The machine has a fold-up extension bed. Came originally in the black japanned finish but was later made in tan and also in what Singer called "bisque" but in fact ranges from white to mint or celery green. They also had a rare issue of crinkle or godzilla finished machines from the war years. And, Singer also came out later with a free-arm version (I think in 1951 but not absolutely sure of that date). They are a simple mechanical machine that does only a straight stitch and reverse stitch, no fancy or decorative stitches. Most of us featherphiles can at least do routine maintenance on our machines and some even restore them.
Much later in the 80's Singer made and sold a cheap, plastic machine that they did call a featherweight. For the most part it was a piece of junk. There was also a knock off machine sold in the 90's called an alphasew. It looked like the original 221 but was also junk.
Beware...featherweights can be addictive...like Lays potato chips, ya can't have just one!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 AM

I don't have one of the others that you are looking to trade for, but I would be interested in buying this FW from you if you decide to sell. Just contact me through PM and let me know what you want for it.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I dont think I want to keep it, if anything I might do some trading for some treadles or a 222K. That is the only FW I really want.

But there was no way in hell I was going to pass this deal up!! But for now it will live in my shop in the wall unit with my other machines.

Billy
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

They are so fundamental. Just remember to oil them regularly. I use mine only for group quilting. This way the computerized machines which are also heavy don't have to be moved. I love my FW!
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I love my featherweights and I'm sure you will love yours too.
They are just like timex watches...they take a licking and keep on ticking...er, stitching.