Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't want to do it!

I have a quilt to finish for a friend for her daughter for Christmas. I don't like the colors she chose or pattern - even though I designed it. My motivation is supposed to be I'm not allowing myself to start another project until it is done. I haven't started anything, but I sure spend a lot of time staring wistfully at my stash and shopping for more stash instead of finishing it. I've even tried to talk myself into doing one thing to it every day - kind of like eating a whole elephant - one bite at a time.

I'll get it done because I keep my word, but it sure is putting a damper on my happy! After this quilt is out of my room I am not taking on anymore mending, alterations, quilt requests or any other things people can come up with to fill my time. I should have had a whole passel of kids; maybe people would think I'm too busy to do their mending.

What do you do when you get stuck?

Blog Entries
    Set the oven timer and quit as soon as it goes off. :)

I know how you feel!! I have never enjoyed the pressure of doing sewing projects for other people, just can let it hang over my head even when it is a simple job! But it has to be done, right? So-I guess you just have to get started and maybe it will start to interest you! Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    I somehow said I'd make a quilt for a friend of a friend whose DH died and she kept his favorite shirts..... What a horrible experience. I disliked the shirt colors and prints, I didn't like the pattern but it was the only one that would work with what I had. I couldn't make myself work on it and felt bad sewing on something else because I said I would. Just like you. One morning I got up and went straight to my sewing room and sewed on the quilt all day. By the end of the day I had it completed enough to know it would be a joy to finish just to get it out of my sight. I had it finished in a few days. I learned my lesson and will never put myself in that miserable feeling again. I love to make quilts for others but only when I want to or none expected.

This is a tough situation. I understand how you feel. If anybody knows you have a sewing machine watch out for the ,"could you hem these pants for me"? How about making my daughter her Easter outfit for me? They don't understand that we can find plenty to do with our time. I will sew anything for my family gladly. It makes it really tough when you just can't get motivated! It must be like "writer's block"! I hope you wake up "inspired" one morning soon! :thumbup:

Set a schedule...one hour a day, etc...put in an audio book and listen to a story I enjoy while I work on it...makes the time go by more quickly...

When I have something to do that I really don't want to do, I make a deal with myself. No quiltingboard till I spend at least 10 minutes on the dreaded project. Usually time gets away from me and I end up spending more than 10 minutes. Good luck with your project.

Power Poster
    I like to do a reward system when I have something to do that I hate. Tell yourself, "I'm going to work on this __hrs. and then have a little treat planned. Maybe a little sewing project like a pot holder or tablerunner. Maybe an hour on the quilt...an hour on the quiltingboard? Do whatever you have to to get her done. You'll feel sooo much better when it's out the door. Remember a job started, is a job half done!

Does she love it at the point it's at or does she see it the same way. No point struggling to finish it if she sees is the same way you do. Is there anything that can be done to change it before you close it up?
    I can't finish something I just hate. I will talk them into making whatever changes it needs for me to be able to put my name on it (even if it's not actually going on it).

OH Bellaboo I am in that very same situation! I do not like any of the shirts she gave me and I hate the colors!! It's been a year and I'm making myself work on it for an hour each day...YUCK!

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My friend asked me to make a queen size quilt for her oldest daughter (32) who is finally getting married. She said she thought that would be a really nice gift. I was very surprised by this as I haven't seen her daughter for over 20 years. I know I have told her numerous times how much the fabric costs and how expensive it is to have a quilt machine quilted. She didn't offer to buy the fabric or even pay to have the machine quilting done. It was really hard for me, but when she asked the second time if I was going to do it, I got up my nerve and told her no. I am so relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    Does she love it at the point it's at or does she see it the same way. No point struggling to finish it if she sees is the same way you do. Is there anything that can be done to change it before you close it up?
    I can't finish something I just hate. I will talk them into making whatever changes it needs for me to be able to put my name on it (even if it's not actually going on it).
    I could dare to dream... She is so excited about it my head wants to explode when I have to discuss something with her relating to it.

The reward system works really well for me. Maybe you could think of something you really want or want to do, and it will be the reward you get when you are finally finished.

Maybe all of our positive thoughts sent you way will work too.

I really hate doing things for others, which makes me sound selfish, but they never actually appreciate how much of ourselves goes into it (or how long the list is of things I want to do!)

If I choose to do something for someone that is different!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    Small things. I do practice projects to learn new techniques. Right now is a perfect example. I HATE hand stitching and I have to finish the binding on the back of the quilt then hand stitch the hanging sleeve on, then the label. I have to have it done by Oct 15 so I can catch a plane to deliver it Oct 16. Plenty of time.

So .... I joined a swap for quilted postcards, got those two done (two new techniques!), then I started a paper pieced mini lonestar and I have 2 "arms" of the star done. I worked on a third tonight but when I finished it and opened it I discovered I goofed somewhere so I have to either pick it out or make the whole thing over. Not sure which ... depends on how much scraps I have left as everything was from scrap!

tomorrow I will probably pick up the hand work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I'll get it done because I keep my word, but it sure is putting a damper on my happy! ...... I should have had a whole passel of kids; maybe people would think I'm too busy to do their mending.

Maybe it would help to focus on what your friend means to you rather than the quilt itself, and that you are doing it for her. I would probably schedule at least a minumum amount of time to work on it, and have some type of reward for myself, time on this board, special treat, or earn yourself a FQ for each hour you work on it. (Maybe no fabric unless you have worked on it-more of a negative motivation than the reward.)

And don't think having a whole passel of kids would keep people from asking you to do things--there are lots of people with the philosophy that if you want something done ask a busy person. It seems counter-intuitive to me but they exist.

Blog Entries
    I just tell people I do not mend..I quilt.

Blog Entries
    I take a different approach. I work on something I like to lift my spirits. Then I go back to the project I don't like. Doing something fun first seems to take the drudgery out of it.

Blog Entries
    Like I would tell my son when he was a teenager get the trash out and then you can do what you want and it would take him an hour to carry it out. When he grew up he said mother I wished that had listened

My heart goes out to you. There's nothing worse than working on something that your heart is not into. Set the timer, put on the music or a movie or audio book and go for it. We are sending you good fibes. Let us know when you are done!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I'm making an UGLY quilt made from uniforms of deployed service members for a client (Yes! First time someone is paying ME!) and I am so unmotivated to do it. I cut it all out and I'm waiting to go home and finish it but it is hideous! Oh, the things we do for LQS soending money.
    The sooner you finish it the sooner you can put it past you.

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen2u
    My heart goes out to you. There's nothing worse than working on something that your heart is not into. Set the timer, put on the music or a movie or audio book and go for it. We are sending you good fibes. Let us know when you are done!
    Agree...put on something you really enjoy listening to and just get 'er done! You'll be so relieved to get it behind you and get on to something else. Getting rid of the dread will be so worth it.

I use the cold cream of wheat method.....one spoonful at a time til it's gone.

tmg
    I just finished my DD quilt early this month. All I can say is that I hated hated hated working on it. The colors were to bright and the fabric was to busy. What got me through it was that I knew she would love it and she does. I still haven't been able to put a label on it. It stays on her bed.

I am binding a quilt a friend at work's daughter made, is a sacrifice, however helping feels good

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast