Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or >

I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or

I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Default I just found out that the modern swoon block is an old block called rolling star or

Star of Bethlehem. I knew it was like a carpenter star but did not know about the other names which is exactly what it looks like. Like they say " everything old is new again." I am working on one now but think there has to be an easier way than so many hst. Does anyone have simplified instructions you could share?

Oops it looks like star of Bethlehem is not right. Sorry.

Last edited by cmputerdazed; 04-19-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I think this blog has what you want - http://doublenickelquilts.blogspot.c...ilt-block.html
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Thanks dunster! I have been wanting to try this block out and here is an easier version!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Yeah, it's hard to come up with something in quilting that hasn't already been done. Most of the "modern" quilts I've seen remind me of the 70's. The trendy yellow or olive and grey are really the color of the 70's appliances. Many of the quilts themselves are often reminiscent of Gees Bend quilts which is even older than the 70's.

Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. But I chuckle about it. Marketeers are trying to repackage our past and it's quite intriguing to me.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

yes, thanks dunster
Old 04-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Yep everything old becomes new again. Like that block though. maybe one day i'll make up some.

I happened to go to Hobby lobby today and they had some decorative pieces in yellow, white and gray. All from China though so I passed on them.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think this blog has what you want - http://doublenickelquilts.blogspot.c...ilt-block.html
Thank you for this link - something on my bucket list.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Thank you for much for that link. It is terrific and I'll be able to use it in a block swap I'm presently working on.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the link. I bought that new swoon pattern, but I put it away, so I could find it and of course, can't.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM

I am currently working on a swoon quilt. I am using batiks, it will be assorted colours. I have done 6 blocks so far and I am clueless as to how I will quilt it. I did not use fat quarters as the pattern calls because there is just no room for error in cutting whether it be by me or the LQS. I purchased 1/2 meter (live inCanada) pieces. Here is one of my blocks.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg