Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine? >

I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine?

I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM

ADVISE: When sewing your strips together, sew two strips together, then bring the end of that strip set to the needle and add your next strip...keep switching the end that you sew from and it will prevent the strips from "bowwing" or curving.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Hi everyone! I just learned to sew and have a brother ce-4000 computer sewing machine. I really would love to make this quilt for my daughter for her birthday but do you think it's possible to do on my machine? I have no idea how long the "arm" but it looks standard to me.

The pattern mentions it takes 1 jelly roll and it's 49 x 67
1 Jelly Roll or 12 1/4 yard cuts of fabric
3.25 yards for backing
1/2 yard for binding

Is it weird it doesn't mention batting? Do some quilts not use batting?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89000268...-easyone-jelly

Of course you can do this quilt on your machine. I have made several quilt tops on one of my Featherweights, and even quilted one top on it. I normally quilt on my Bernina. I too would recommend stitching in the ditch, it is easy and quick. Good luck, be sure to post a pict. of the finished quilt. I always add batting except with my denim quilts, because of their weight. Most likely, the quthor of the pattern, just assumed that most people know about the batting, and they often forget about new quilters, so glad you ask the question.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM

A great beginner quilt. Accurate cutting and sewing 1/4 inch seam, is important. For quilting you will need a walking foot, or have a long arm quilter quilt it. Have fun.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM

That top is so simple, I don't know why you would even need a pattern. In addition, even if your seams are off, it won't matter. An yes, you can do it on any sewing machine.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Absolutely, you can do this on your machine. Purchase and cut your backing and batting three inches larger on all sides.
This will be cut off to match your top AFTER you have quilted it...before binding. Feel free to come back to all of us for help along the way. If you are really stuck, just take your project to your local quilt shop.
Welcome to our addiction.
Diana in TX
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM

You will need batting...about the same size as the backing.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM

I've done one that size on a featherweight, so you should be fine on your machine. Just be sure you have it basted (or safety pin basted) securely before you start quilting...voice of 'bad' experience here...LOL!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Wow, you guys are so wonderful!!! Thank you so much for the warm welcome and all of this fantastic advice!!! you guys are getting me so excited about quilting and I can't wait to start! I can totally see this becoming a well-loved hobby. I will post questions along the way and will post pictures when complete! I'd love to do the whole thing myself (top and quilting it) and am really going to try hard to do so. Thank you all so much!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Wow, you guys are so wonderful!!! Thank you so much for the warm welcome and all of this fantastic advice!!! you guys are getting me so excited about quilting and I can't wait to start! I can totally see this becoming a well-loved hobby. I will post questions along the way and will post pictures when complete! I'd love to do the whole thing myself (top and quilting it) and am really going to try hard to do so. Thank you all so much!!!
Like The LIttle Engine that Could ..... you CAN!!!!!!!! ")
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 PM

i think missouri star quilt company .com has a free tutorial on one she has so many tutorial