Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just realized Fusible Webbing and Heat N Bond are NOT the same thing. >

I just realized Fusible Webbing and Heat N Bond are NOT the same thing.

I just realized Fusible Webbing and Heat N Bond are NOT the same thing.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Wisconsin
Posts: 934

Fusible webbing and Heat and Bond should be interchangable, I would think, however I have never used or even seen webbing without paper on one side..
pls1946 is offline  
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Washington
Posts: 4,001

Well I am totally confused now. Let us know what you are trying to do with it.
sewbeadit is offline  
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rain Country USA
Posts: 300

Fusible Web is a glue substance that is adhered with heat to fabric. It has several brand names and each is preferred by someone. The ones I recall and have used are Wonder Under; Heat n Bond Lite, Heat n Bond Ultra; Steam a Seam; Steam a Seam Lite; Misty Fuse. Stitch Witchery --- most of these have paper backings. For banners without sewing I prefer the Heat n Bond Ultra (red label) as if used as directed it truly does work. Whichever fusible web one chooses, prewash all fabrics without any fabric softner used in the washer or the dryer. The prewashing helps insure that the glue of the fusible webbing attaches to the fibers of the fabric. Another trick is to just barely touch it in spots until the final heat set is done. Too hot, too long will mean that the heat activated glue may not adhere to the fabrics.The glue will melt towards the heat source not the bottom fabric.
WilliP is offline  
Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar City Utah
Posts: 813

do you just hate it when that happens.???? And the horrible thing of having to go back to JoAnns.
paulettepoe is offline  
Old 01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 1,669

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
GRRRR, I just spent 20 minutes tracing my appliqué pattern onto what I thought was the correcting backing I needed for this project. Only to find out that what I bought "fusible webbing" is NOT the same as Heat n Bond. Now I need to run back to Joanns (already been there once today) to get Heat n Bond to finish this wrestling banner I am making for DS who has his first match this Sunday.
After a couple of disasters with Heat N Bond, I much prefer Wonder Under by Pellon. You can get it at JoAnn's. froggyintexas
FroggyinTexas is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2


I am new to doing Applique on a background of a lap quilt i am making.

I sent for Trans-Web paper backed fusible web from JoAnn's online. I received a packet of the paper backed fusible web along w/ a packet of some rubbery-type sheet of stuff.

I finally figured out how to use the paper backed fusible web. The instructions are vague to me and i had been first told by other quilter's to use meat packing paper but then was confused on how to fuse it as i still needed to use the paper backed fusible web.

Anyway, i dont know what i am to do w/ the rubbery sheet?? What is that?

thank you, J
crystalwoman is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Member
gale's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North-Central Indiana
Posts: 4,909

I agree that Heat n Bond is fusible webbing. I prefer Lite Steam a Seam 2 though...

Maybe the rubber sheet is a teflon sheet for laying on top of whatever you are ironing. So as to avoid getting the sticky stuff on your iron. Meat packing paper, or freezer paper, is not fusible web. It's helpful for other types of projects though.

eta: did the rubbery sheet package have a label? According to their website the trans web doesn't come with anything extra. Did they accidentally send you a freebie, maybe? Or was it a promo?
gale is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131

I think there is a mix up with words. I think what she probably need was fusible webbing and was sold fusible interfacing (which has no paper) by mistake. Hopefully June you lived near a JAF.
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2

I figured it out (i think?) that the one is the fusible web w/ the paper back, and the other rubbery-type stuff is the interfacing that i use w/ the material too. Why dont they explain that in the Trans-Web directions?

So however it is supposed to go, i have it mostly ironed on. I'm going to stitch around the applique edges anyway.
crystalwoman is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
02-08-2011 08:39 AM
12-21-2010 02:44 PM
10-18-2010 01:20 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter