Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I just tried this

Blog Entries

I just tried this

Between gardening (read rough hands), I'm slowly ripping out my bad quilting job. The thread just sticks to my hands, hand cream hasn't helped too much. I just took a dryer sheet and wiped my hands, thread drops in waste can first try.
    True4uca

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Will remember that, thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Good to know, thanks

Great tip!

Blog Entries
    great tip, it also helps keep skeeters away, (Bounce fabric softener sheets)
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Thanks! I almost always have snaggy hands.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the issue isn't dry hands, it's static. Those dryer sheets work great on flyaway hair, too!

When I have to rip, I clip on one side ever 5 stitches and then pull the other thread out. Then I use masking tape to get most of those pesky short threads off the fabric.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    If you want to get rid of rough skin...Use Euricerin. If it is really bad put it on and put cotton gloves on over night. Men who work in concrete, farmers also have skin rough and cracked and it helps them. I have nothing to do with this product....only learned by living. It also has no odor. a couple days application can make a difference. Also gentle enough to use for baby rash. That's where I learned about. A nurse in pediatrics.

Power Poster
    great tip!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Great tip, thanks.

You can also rub good quality mayonnaise on your hands and rub, rub, rub, for about 15 minutes and it will calm the dry, scaly skin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Sounds like the issue isn't dry hands, it's static. Those dryer sheets work great on flyaway hair, too!
    No! Sorry! The issue is dry, cracked hands. Ask me how I know. I lived on a farm for 50 years, and milked cows and had a garden. Sometimes my fingers bled. Now I use Melaleuca Intensive Skin Therapy. The results are almost instantaneous. Love that stuff. Other people use bag balm. Find something that works for you. And I'm going to try the dryer sheets, too. Even with smooth hands it's sometimes hard to get rid of those pesky little threads.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Jetayre, My pharmacist recommended Euricerin for cracks on my heels, and I have been using it nightly for several years now. Love the results.

I have this same problem (farmer's hands) - thanks for the tip!

Nice to know. I have that problem with dental floss, too. Will have to try. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    No! Sorry! The issue is dry, cracked hands.
    Well, your issue may be dry, cracked hands. I was commenting specifically on the OP's post, where she states that cream doesn't work, but she found that rubbing her hands on a dryer sheet helped tremendously. From these statements I deduced that her issue was more static-related.

Blog Entries
    Peckish, you are so right. Come winter I'll need a ground wire(grin) as I will get shocks from just about everything I touch. Kinda kinky to brush my hair in the dark and see sparks.

Well, your issue may be dry, cracked hands. I was commenting specifically on the OP's post, where she states that cream doesn't work, but she found that rubbing her hands on a dryer sheet helped tremendously. From these statements I deduced that her issue was more static-related.
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    I use Eucerin a lot. I also like A&D diaper rash ointment. Smells weird but it works. I use Satin hands from Mary Kay also. It works and smells good too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    No! Sorry! The issue is dry, cracked hands. Ask me how I know. I lived on a farm for 50 years, and milked cows and had a garden. Sometimes my fingers bled. Now I use Melaleuca Intensive Skin Therapy. The results are almost instantaneous. Love that stuff. Other people use bag balm. Find something that works for you. And I'm going to try the dryer sheets, too. Even with smooth hands it's sometimes hard to get rid of those pesky little threads.
    Maviskw......in response to your comment about those "hard to get rid of pesky little threads"......I could not live without my pieces of batting right by my sewing machine and on my ironing board. Every piece of thread (ravels) that I cut I wipe onto a piece of batting - no more threads on the floor because they missed the garbage can or my thread catcher. Sometimes I have a strip of batting over my shoulder. And it's so simple to scrape all the threads from the batting when I feel like cleaning up. Try it - if you haven't already. Pat

Blog Entries
    I understand. I have exzema on my hands and after years of trying to find something to help, I accidentally figured out the best thing for dry skin was good old baby cream. Nothing else I have tried has worked.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Power Poster
    Good tip, thanks. There is a product, I think it is "Udder's cream", which was intended for you guessed it, cow's udders, however, I have had numerous quilters tell me that it really works and keeps your hands soft. I've also used Eucerin cream for rough hands.

Great tip!! Thanks.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Could be, but the original post says "rough hands" right after the word "gardening" Been there, done that.
    Last edited by maviskw; 08-28-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast