Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I just want some advice.....

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar

advise on FMQ

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    While you said to NOT use ink to draw on the Press N Seal ... you did not tell use what we are supposed to use?
    So what might that be?
    Please? and Thanks!
    I use a soft lead pencil or have used a water soluble marker. If using ink try it on a scrap piece first. Get into the kids markers and coloring pens and find what will work for you...It also will depend on color of fabric you are quilting. Also have ironed three layers of freezer paper together, drawn design on it and punched holes along the design lines ....... use a chalk pencil to mark holes...Sewing is kind of a connect the dots thing. Works fine if not doing anything too intricate.

I use my daughter who is one fantastic long armer.
    I'm an obsessive compulsive quilter and batik aholic. I make only king size quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
    I use a soft lead pencil or have used a water soluble marker. If using ink try it on a scrap piece first. Get into the kids markers and coloring pens and find what will work for you...It also will depend on color of fabric you are quilting. Also have ironed three layers of freezer paper together, drawn design on it and punched holes along the design lines ....... use a chalk pencil to mark holes...Sewing is kind of a connect the dots thing. Works fine if not doing anything too intricate.
    Thanks ... though I would have thought that the lead pencil would not show up on the plastic of the PNS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i do all mine free handed , and the mood i am in at the time of doing FMQ kind of determine my free hand skills !!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I recently graduated from stitch in the ditch to meandering FMQ and not only am I enjoying it, but even from the first quilt I did it turned out much better than expected because of the confidence I gained from reading this board. Like you, I want to do the feathers and beautiful patterns on the borders and don't yet have the skill or confidence, but I found a product called Borders Made Easy. It's a long roll of paper with adhesive backing that you stick onto the quilt and just sew right over the pattern and then rip off the paper. There are various designs to choose from and they're quite easy to do.
    I have never heard of the product " borders made easy" This might be what I need. I know i need lots of practice.
    Thanks for the Idea.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Lots of ways to do what you want. I would suggest you get some of the Preview Paper from Golden Threads. It is a clear plastic like material with black borders on the sides. You can put it over your quilt and 'preview' different quilting designs before you sew.
    This is a great idea, preview paper, I will have to try this also. Thanks for all the great ideas.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.

As always, I have gotten some great advice, Thanks Ladies. I am now ready to try something different, after a trip to Joann's.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.

I found out last summer when the humidity was high that water soluable ink disappears right before your eyes. Now, I use a heat erasing pen, which disappears when you iron over it or wash your quilt in reasonably hot water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2