Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I love my stash too much! >

I love my stash too much!

I love my stash too much!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I have started using up my HUGE stash...for the very reason stated above...it is going to end up in a jumble in a thrift shop when my kids cart everything out...
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 AM

I have been buying fabric for years and years. I feel very enclosed in my sewing room now because of the amount of fabric. I've decided enough is enough. I'm glad that I found Bonnie Hunter and her scrap system. Now I don't feel guilty for all my fabric purchases because they are going to be used!!!!!!
I made a queen size quilt for my bed and dived into my reproduction fabrics. It hardly made a dent in it. I'm going to have to live a long, long time to use up my stash.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

A familiar habit for many from the sound of it..Self included...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
If you don't use it, what is going to happen to it when you die?? I don't want my favorite fabrics to end up in some bin at a resale store marked at a price of pennies on the dollar. I want my favorite fabric to be cherished by someone in a quilt. I guess they could wrap you up in it when you die. I am making a quilt to be buried in. Just hope I can get it done it time. So many charities I have been working on lately taking precedence over mine. Maybe THAT will be my new year's resolution.
Well you could leave it to me and I would keep it and pass it on down to my friends.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

There are times I'm reluctant to use certain fabrics, saving them for something special at another time. However, when we downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apt. I had to make some tough decisions about my stash, it was very tough; however, I passed them on to a dear friend who passed on what she couldn't use to another friend who belonged to a group that made "quilted covers" for children in local hospitals, so I know the fabric will find a good home. Money is tight with my husband on disability and I'm on SS, because I was unable to find work; so I was thrilled that I was able to make a full size quilt for our DGD for Christmas. What a wonderful feeling when she was presented with the quilt, she hugged the quilt, then hopped down to give "MiMi" a big hug and kiss, telling me that she loved it very, very much. To me that's what quilting is all about, making something that someone can love and appreciate. I made her a couple matching pillowcases, which I'm told she uses all the time. She is such a sweetie, we are so fortunate to have her and that she is such a delightful, loving and lovable, smart little girl with a big heart.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I am trying to use up as much of my stash as I can. I bought it to use and I am trying my best to do it.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:51 PM

I have the same problem
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM

I've had fabrics that it was very hard for me to use. But then I remember the woman I met who lived near a creek that flooded her house. She lost most of her treasured fabrics. The ones she had never been able to use. She told me "If I had made some of those fabrics up, I could have enjoyed them. Now they are gone. Use your fabrics and enjoy them." I've tried to do that."
Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM

When I moved my stash out of totes and onto bookshelves I started making far better use of it. My problem was more not being able to easily audition the fabric, rather than not being able to cut it. Now my quilts come totally from stash, not to say that I don't still buy fabric but it is ruler folded and put out so I can look at and appreciate it.