Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Love Sleeping Under a Quilt! >

I Love Sleeping Under a Quilt!

I Love Sleeping Under a Quilt!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 PM

Default I Love Sleeping Under a Quilt!

My husband liked comforters so for the last 30 years, we've had a comforter on the bed. I finally decided that I was going to make a king sized quilt. I finished it last weekend and have been sleeping under it every night. I'd forgotten what heaven it is to sleep under a nice quilt. I've had a couple small ones that I took naps under but I haven't had one on my bed in sooooo long. It's nice to be under one again. I think the comforter is going to be turned into a dog bed
Old 07-06-2017, 06:07 PM

How warm, and comforting for you and your DH. I recently found a great deal on a quilt, at an estate sale. Queen size hand pieced, appliqued and quilted, for a ridiculously low sum! Too good to pass up. Fits ok on our king bed, but it's sooo warm! Absolutely LOVE it!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM

I love it too Nothing like a homemade quilt to sleep under. I think it is the all love stitched into it that makes it so much warmer than the cheap commercial quilts from Walmart, regardless of the batting used.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I love it too Nothing like a homemade quilt to sleep under. I think it is the all love stitched into it that makes it so much warmer than the cheap commercial quilts from Walmart, regardless of the batting used.
I so agree!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

I did the same thing about a year ago. But I had to twin quilts on top of the king-size on my side of the bed. Sometimes my husband will add one twin size on his side ... nothing better!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Glad you are enjoying your quilt. Must be so satisfying to sleep under a quilt you've made yourself!

Here in Chicago tho it's so hot I've just been sleeping under a double gauze blanket LOL (and yes, I have the AC on full blast-- still too hot for a "real" blanket or quilt!)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 AM

Looks like you've started the "quilting tradition". Mine started in the mid 70's. My hubby is a tall guy (6"8"), so we got a king bed early in our marriage, before they really made covers for them. And when DH turned on his side, with his large shoulders, he pulled all the covers and left me freezing. That's when I made my first quilt. It measured 124" square. I have been warm ever since and have made about 10 King sized quilts for seasonal/decorative changes. Now everyone wants a quilt, and as each child sets up household, I've made quilts for all their beds. With each new grandchild, you guessed it. No one can sleep under a store bought quilt. And it sounds like you are on the start of a tradition of your own. Congrats!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

so nice to have your 'turn' on choice of bed coverings
Old 07-07-2017, 05:13 AM

Quilts are sooo cozy, especially the more they have been washed. It's really too warm for a quilt right now, but I put the a/c on and cuddle up, love it. I do have a few that are lighter than others I use now, I have six that fit the bed well that I rotate throughout the year.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 AM

Its very warm here in Houston. At night it "cools off" to the mid 80's But since we have so much hot weather (pretty much April until November), we also have really good A/C. Since we have a big house which is rather long, we have 2 full sized A/C units and one Mitsubishi Mini Split for the den that is hard to cool. We have 3 dogs who sleep in the bed with us so I've learned to turn the A/C down to 70 (or under) at night which means that I can still snuggle under a light weight quilt with the ceiling fan on. Heaven!

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-07-2017 at 07:08 AM.