Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a good decision >

I made a good decision

I made a good decision

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Default I made a good decision

Years ago, I decided that quilting was going to be my hobby. I made my first wall hanging & remember taking it to show to my mother who was a quilter - I was so pleased with myself. I said, I bet you didn't think I could make it, and I remember exactly what she said to me. "Well, honey, I knew you could do it."
That was probably 30 years ago, & I'm still enjoying making quilts and the decision I made that day.

My mother might be making quilts in Heaven now.
How/when did you decide to make quilts?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 AM

I have been sewing since I was about 12 yrs old, making clothes for dolls and then graduating to clothes for myself and family members. About 10 years ago I signed up for a quilting class, at the class the teacher asked why we signed up for the class. I answered that I wanted to say that I had made one quilt in my lifetime, she laughed. Well, needless to say I am hooked on quilting and love it. pat
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM

My grandmother taught me to sew - she did all the sewing for our family as my mom couldn't operate any kind of machine...literally...not a single machine! She did do handwork, however, so I'd sew, Mom would do the hems and other handwork and my sister did the dishes. Worked for me! But I digress. Later in life - about 20 years ago - I decided that I wasn't interested in sewing garments any more but wanted to sew, so that left quilting - Grandma also did quilting, I just had never gotten into it....now I do it all the time and love it. Rarely use a pattern more than once - or if I do, I find a way to change it. I do a lot of "what iffing". Love making freehand quilts...quilts with no pattern.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM

It has been 30 years for me, too. In 1983, I decided to make a baby quilt for our (then) pastor's wife, who was expecting her 3rd child. I was already a sewer and was making most of my own clothing, as well as some of my husband's (we were married in 1981), plus had tried my hand at embroidery, crochet, macramé, counted cross stitch, and even fabric painting (what was I thinking???). That quilt turned out really cute, but, as I didn't know how to quilt, I tied it. Unfortunately, I used 100% cotton batting, which (of course!) fell apart with the first wash. Disaster! I was either too stupid, or too stubborn (or both) to quit. I've made more mistakes along the way, but kept at it. I would classify myself as "experienced".
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM

I learned to sew (and crochet), as a young child. I started hand-sewing doll dresses, then by the time I was around 7, was allowed to use my mom's sewing machine. That was over 50 years ago. As for quilting, I pieced together scraps and called them quilts (for my dolls) . . . but didn't start "proper" quilting, until I was an adult. I started by making craft items, like tissue box covers, a tree skirt, and other small items. One day I was talking to my mom and she said she'd always wanted a green TIC, so I made one for her.

When I was younger (and my eyes were much better), I enjoyed doing intricate sewing. Nowadays, tiny details make my head hurt.

Last edited by Neesie; 09-12-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

i started my first quilt when my first child was born. somewhere along the way, the unfinished materials got lost. i started quilting again when i took early retirement. prior to that, i was very busy with machine knitting.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I wanted a quilt and couldn't afford the one I wanted. I said to myself, " I'll make my own". I have been quilting ever since.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM

I was in the back seat of a van with two friends on our way to a dog show. The gal in the passenger seat was hand quilting & beading a beautiful lone star wall hanging in white, black and turquoise. As I watched her I said ... I can do that.

So I did.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

My Mom had made some tops. With five kids to raise by herself, she never finished them. I always thought I would quilt one day. That was about 1965 and I decided to make one for second baby I was expecting. I made a baby quilt w/butterflies. I didn't have a clue how to quilt, I guess I tied it. After first two kids got older and I had a third child. My sister gave me a box of flannel scraps. I sewed them together and made the kids quilts. I didn't know about batting, so I just put a back on them. This was about 1972. Then I started an appliqued butterfly quilt for our bed. Been at it every since. I learned lots more and hand quilted the twenty five quilts. I learned to machine quilt in 2006 and have made lots and lots of quilts. I am working on finishing up my 124th quilt. Sorry this is so long.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

I had decided to make a hubby an hawaiian shirt which went a bit wrong so I hung it on the bedroom door for a few weeks trying to work out what had happened as I had used that pattern many times successfully. One night I had an inspiration as I hate wasting fabric I said to hubby instead of having just 1 hawaiian shirt I am going to cut it up and make a quilt with 42 shirts appliqued on it.

And so I did. My first quilt was "born" and a king at that. That was just on 10 years ago and we both love that quilt. In fact it is on the bed right now as I made it an "in between season" quilt .