Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i made a mistake. >

i made a mistake.

i made a mistake.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Cover it up with an applique that is the same color as your quilt fabric. I've done that a couple of times, and it worked nicely.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Rules are meant to be broken. If it is worrying then you then remove it.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
KLO

Aileen,

First in answer to your query, that shortened cable won't be noticeable and it's just fine!!! I'd have to agree with some other posters in that the quilt and quilting are wonderful! Probably because you are "up close and personal" while hand quilting, you notice any little "mistakes" more so than anyone else would. And I certainly do not think your "mistake" is worth undoing hours of already completed hand work. In fact, I think without someone pointing it out, I would not notice it either. And if someone does happen to point it out, then nuts to them.

I probably shouldn't include this but as you sort of mentioned at one point, if we on the QB want to post a reply (other than a compliment), we should read the whole thread before asking questions that have most likely been asked already especially if the thread is several pages long. Yes, it takes some time but at least we don't have the same question asked over and over again. That drives me nuts too. So glad to hear you say "I'm good." Now you can carry on.

Last edited by KLO; 12-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Hi Aileen,

I don't have much to add: like others, I think from your picture that it's fine. It looks like a celtic knot-type pattern to me, not a squished cable. Another thing to keep in mind is that the corners of quilts fold when the quilt is on the bed, so the quilting is less noticeable in that area. You don't even see the whole corner motif at once. I'm glad you're more happy with it; I think it's beautiful, and you should be proud of it! Your hand stitching is really lovely.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Why don't you ever remove hand quilting...I would think a better rule is always remove a mistake.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:33 PM

i couldn't see any difference except on back & that's only because I was looking real hard.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 PM

the handquilting rule comes from a desire to balance perfectionism with reality.

i am a s-l-o-w handquilter. two of those cable loops take three hours, from threading the needles to taking the hoop off the finished product. my gran is 89, and isn't doing so well. this needs to get done.

maybe in another project i'll be more willing to cut threads. not this one. not right now.

aileen
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 PM

I can't see the problem. Trying to figure out what needs to be corrected.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 PM

In my opinion for what it's worth, your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I do not and never plan to hand quilt, hate to even do the hand sewing on a binding. I think I would complete the quilt and give it to your grandmother, then if you have time later and want to redo that corner, then do it. I am sure your grandmother will be so happy and pleased that you love her enough to take the time to make her such a beautiful quilt, and by hand no less, that even if she is a quilter, she will not care if she even notices the mistake. When I find a mistake in my quilting, it drives me nuts until I correct it, but there are times I have had to let it go, due to time restraints or something else.
I had the same Band Director from 5th grade through High School, and when some one would make a mistake, - he always noticed. Instead of getting angry and fussing at that person he would tell us to try our best, and to correct our mistake because it would usually be 'heard' or 'seen' if we were marching on the field, - but to also remember that "Only one Person was ever perfect, and they crucified Him". Strange how a comment that was made so long long ago has been remembered for so long, and whenever anyone makes a mistake and calls it to my attention, I always think of what Mr. Rose would say. I can even picture him standing in the band hall and almost hear him in my mind so many years later.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 AM

Wow! That's incredible hand quilting! Your Grandma will love it. I would imagine she will be very proud to have such a talented grand daughter. I'd be ecstatic if a grandchild made such an effort to make something like that for me. I'm still not sure where the error is. I just saw rows of perfect stitching.