Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing >

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
wow, just wow.
amazing job you did there..
you need to send him a picture of it, and maybe he'll visit with you and sign it too.
amazing job you did there
I would love to be abe to contact him and show him the quilt, but as a busy celebrity (and an international celebrity at that) it seems a wee bit difficult.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Incredible!! Rather than trying to quilt it, I think I would look for options to mount it for wall display. Putting it on a bed would lose the impact. If you stretched it on a artists frame, I suspect it will still sag. I think you need to look for ways to sandwich it between 2 large whole sheets of plexiglass? You might ask a museum or gallery for some tips.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Great top. Long arm quilting would be a great idea. I'm thinking it's so heavy because by looking at the back side of it, it seems like your seam allowances are about 1/2"? Or maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Typically 1/4" is used for less bulk and weight. I would imagine you could slowly press it and use lots of starch to give it body and then sandwich it.

I hope you pick something more difficult for your next one. LOL!!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Great top. Long arm quilting would be a great idea. I'm thinking it's so heavy because by looking at the back side of it, it seems like your seam allowances are about 1/2"? Or maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. Typically 1/4" is used for less bulk and weight. I would imagine you could slowly press it and use lots of starch to give it body and then sandwich it.

I hope you pick something more difficult for your next one. LOL!!
My seams are all 1/4", and the finished squares are 1/2"
(I just have small hands)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Absolutely spectacular! I would imagine it is very heavy so you would certainly need some supporting backing layers. However this is beyond my knowledge. The iron on interfacing seems like a good start but am guessing you will need more support backing than that. Wish I could be more helpful. I have heard of portrait quilts, and you are truly an artist in fabric!!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:50 PM

Amazing job, and it's astounding that this is your first quilt. I'm no expert, but I think hand quilting would be difficult with all the seams. A good longarmer could do so much to enhance the work you've already done. I think I would have to find one who specializes in this pictoral type of quilt. I'm sure there are some out there. You could start by contacting the one who did the last supper quilt. I would seriously consider doing a mini project to audition a longarmer before I handed them this quilt.

You may also have to use a non-traditional back: something with more substance than standard quilting cotton. You will also have to be careful about batting. The loft of the batting will definitely be a part of your design. If you decide you want little or no loft you may skip batting altogether or just use a piece of flannel or other fabric (this may help stabilize also).

Be sure to post when you have the quilt completed; I'm sure a bunch of us would be interested to see it.

By the way, welcome to the QB.

Darren
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM

"Holy Guacamole, Batman! Tom never looked so good!"

All I can say is WOW! Your first quilt? Nah...can't be! Awesome!!!

I'll let some of the other more experienced quilters address your stabilization/quilting questions. Just had to tell you how much I adore your quilt. (Sorry, I really don't know who Tom is, but OMG, what a quilt!)

Can't wait to see what quilt #2 brings.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM

I made one of my grandson. I took a class and the teacher had the software. I finished it and thought I would throw it away because it looked terrible. I held it up for DH to see and he was wowed! I said really, Im going to trash it. What I discovered was that it needs to be looked at a distance. I said Wow too! I cant imagine making one of someone I dont really know. Tedious but not hard work. Still couldnt do one for a stranger.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Amazing, beautiful, charming, delightful, excellent, fantastic, gorgeous, not enough words and stunning!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Join Twitter and tweet it to him. He may see it, possibly. https://twitter.com/twhiddleston.

He might read some of the Thor message boards. Or his publicist might and would show him.

Also, if I were you, I'd send a picture to your newspaper.

That is an amazing quilt.