Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advise on how to repair this quilt >

I need advise on how to repair this quilt

I need advise on how to repair this quilt

Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Thank you, MacThayer. I appreciate the lesson. I do have some other quilts that will benefit from an airing. Thanks so much for the info, too, on hanging the quilts. I have several that I have been thinking of hanging. I would not have thought of putting sleeves anywhere except across the top, or using new materal on the backing. I do have a number of them draped over racks. I have discovered the racks that kids use to put boxes in to hold their toys. They are sturdier than the regular quilt racks, and allow me to spread the quilt a little better.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM

It looks to me as though this could best be repaired by embroidering around the edges of the stars. You can do that by hand or machine. A cross-stitch or a double blanket stitch (a blanket stitch going clockwise and then a blanket stitch going counter-clockwise) around the stars would give you an interesting block. You would get a very strong seam and a very decorative stitch.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm so glad you started this discussion. I have some fragments of a quilt made by my g-grandmother that need some TLC and this info is helpful. Good luck with your repairs....it's a lovely quilt and looks well worth your efforts. I'd love to see pictures again after your repairs.