Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a cheering section-instruction please! >

I need a cheering section-instruction please!

I need a cheering section-instruction please!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM

A BIG THANK YOU to my cheering section!!! I am filled with confidence and great ideas!! I have FMQ many times on oversized lap quilts on my machine so this one will be the "next" step, leap or JUMP for sure! I will post pictures!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:42 AM

I did stitch in the ditch on a very large quilt on my Featherweight. I asked myself: why am I doing this when I have a good Bernina in my sewing room? I guess: to see if I could; so I could brag about it! But my batting was thinner. If you have a polyester batt, it will not roll as tightly.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 AM

I have quilted several large quilts on my Bernina 1130. It is important to have a large flat surface for the quilt. I stitch in the ditch to stabilize the blocks or sections in the quilt and then work on one section at a time. If you stabilize in this manner it is not even necessary to start quilting in the center. I have found that the whole process is easier since I started using Elmer's washable school glue to baste with. It was much harder in the days of using safety pins. I have gotten to the part that I enjoy the FMQing the most.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 AM

My experienced thought on this is that the worst part of quilting this on your machine will be basting it so that with all the moving and scootching and pushing and readjusting that will be required when quilting this, that the layers don't get separated and you get all kinds of puckers and folds on the back. If you have a hand quilting frame, that might be the way to baste it. Other wise, maybe a longarmer could quickly baste it for you to quilt. I have no idea what that would cost, but it might be worth an inquiry.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would quilt it in sections. You can cut the backing the same size as the top, but cut the batting into 3rds. Sandwich the quilt with the first third of the batting in the center and pin as usual. Quilt to about 1" of the edge of the batting. Now take the next piece of batting & butt it up against the first. Whip stitch the 2 pieces together. You can also use a really big zigzag. Sandwich this portion, pin & quilt. Repeat for the other side. This way you really reduce the bulk, just take care you don't catch the unsandwiched portion of the top or backing!
What a great suggestion, wish I had used this method a long time ago before I got a machine on a frame.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I once did a 110 x 110 king quilt on my DSM, although I've done smaller ones too, but why start with something little? LOL. It takes a little patience, but you scrunch the quilt up and wiggle it through your machine. I even did feathered wreaths in the plain blocks. I would look at a tutorial or two if you haven't FMQ on our DSM, but it can be done. It will be a learning experience but you will be so proud when you finish. One thing, be sure you have enough table space to support the quilt, like putting your sewing table up against a wall, then have a table to the side so you're not trying to support the quilt yourself while quilting. Hope this helps.