Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need an easy pattern that looks hard

Blog Entries

I need an easy pattern that looks hard

I have a wedding quilt I need to get started and done by September 21, that want colors brown and teal, I couldn't fine teal so it's an light blue.
    I have a go cutter and I have the log cabin die I would like to use but I just don't understand how to place the fabric for the colors I need. I know I am not saying it right, I hope someone understands what I mean... thanks for your help...

Power Poster
    Take a look at Jenny Doan's newest MSQC youtube video of a quilt called Merry Go Round. It looks complicated but is very easy with her instructions. The quilt uses charm packages but you could cut your own squares and yardage. I couldn't believe how fast and simple the quilt units were to do.

Disappearing 9 patch is easy, but looks hard.

Teal fabrics are hard to find, but worth the search. You might keep looking. The light blue might be a good light color to use with the teal.

There are so many ways to lay out the colors in a log cabin pattern. You may want to look for the varieties on a web search. I don't know how easy any one of them would be. The only log cabin I have made is using paper piecing and laying blues on one side and yellows on the other. Good luck and have fun. Forgot to mention that I have not finished this quilt yet, doing it as a QAYG and been working it - seldom - for about 5 yrs, lol. I have named it the never ending quilt.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Hancocks of Paducah has some beautiful teal in their catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Take a look at Jenny Doan's newest MSQC youtube video of a quilt called Merry Go Round. It looks complicated but is very easy with her instructions. The quilt uses charm packages but you could cut your own squares and yardage. I couldn't believe how fast and simple the quilt units were to do.
    Thanks for posting this! I just watched it while I ate lunch & it looks so doable for me! I love it!
    Last edited by Grandma Bonnie; 07-20-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: made a mistake!

I just watched Jenny Doan's Merry Go Round video yesterday and it is easy the way she does it, but looks complicated. I want to make one.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Great information, Alien Quilter.

Be careful with fabric.com, I've gotten decorator fabric instead of quilter's cotton. Have to read the description better.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
    I have a wedding quilt I need to get started and done by September 21, that want colors brown and teal, I couldn't fine teal so it's an light blue.
    I have a go cutter and I have the log cabin die I would like to use but I just don't understand how to place the fabric for the colors I need. I know I am not saying it right, I hope someone understands what I mean... thanks for your help...
    I find some of my fabric on http://www.equilter.com/ hope it's okay to post this! just type in teal in the search box and there it will be! Just a suggestion but if you are unsure how to use the cutter why not piece a Rail Fence using shades of brown and teal might be easier being you have a dead line and I sense a little anxiety - keep us posted and remember to breath!

I have found something that looks difficult can be in many cases because of the fabric. Choose the right fabric and a strip quilt can look difficult.

Blog Entries
    I love Magic Twist that is ninepatch with an extra addtion. It is easy and looks very complicated. Google Magic Twist and have a look. The pattern is free as well.

Carpenter Star using 6 1/2" squares -- can get top done in 5 hours and looks great.

I agree. You can't go wrong with Jenny Doan. I had a long dry spell with my quilting do to health issues. Then I found the Missouri Star Quilting Company on this board with Jenny. Needing some ideas for baby quilts (I have three great grandchildren and another due this October), I have several of Jenny's pattern's started.
    I have started the Sail Boat for two grandson's, working also on the Disappearing Nine Patch and the Star Spangled
    Patriot for our grandson in Alghanistan. Also, have an idea from Jenny for the baby due soon. The list is long.
    I love her tutorials. You may have to watch the tutorial severals times, with pencil and paper at hand, but you won't need a pattern; Jenny makes it so easy to follow. I hope to get the chance to meet her when she comes to Atlanta in September.
    Happy quilting. GiGi (great grandmother)
    Gigi

I am making the new quilt on Missouri star, merry go round. It is turning out wonderful and is super easy! I did not use precutes just cut my own on studio cutter.

Blog Entries
    I like the two-slice layer cake. It takes a layer cake plus fabric for the borders. It is very easy but looks complicated. I can't post a picture but you can google it.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Jenny has some very interesting tutorials that look hard but are easy. I like Eleanor Burns Night and Day and with two or three colors it comes out very nice. It looks hard but you sew strips and use her ruler which comes with the book to cut the pieces and then sew those piece to make the block. I made mine with browns and peach and the kids love it, now to decide which one to give it to

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the great ideas and places to go ...

To get the log cabin effect, one side needs to be darker fabrics and the other side lighter fabrics. Using brown, a darker teal and the light blue would be gorgeous. Maybe you can use this Google link to find one you really like. It's a great pattern for beginners too. It will take multiple fabrics in the color way you decide to use. Something bright for the center beginning square like a red or orange. https://www.google.com/#gs_rn=21&gs_...w=1366&bih=658
    Karen in Kentucky

These are beautiful colors in teals and browns.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t226089.html

You should be able to find them in the post that had several sites.

Any one of the quick curve ruler's patterns by sew kind of wonderful. They are gradual curves that are soooo easy to sew and then square up. They come together really fast because they are addicting.

http://sewkindofwonderful.bigcartel.com/

If you want to make a log cabin. Dark fabrics go on one side of the square & lights on the other side. As far as the lay out of the squares there are some different one, but my favorite is the barn raising lay out. I'm sure that you can find the pattern for a log cabin and the different lay outs on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    Disappearing 9 patch is easy, but looks hard.

Teal fabrics are hard to find, but worth the search. You might keep looking. The light blue might be a good light color to use with the teal.
    I agree! If they want teal, light blue is not going to cut it. And to do all the work of a wedding quilt and not have it be what they want, since you do know, seems a shame. But definitely, the light blue should work WITH the teal, not in place of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Have checked msqc and find no video on a merry go round quilt........can you post the link Thanks

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto what tartan said,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast