Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i need help before i pull my hair out >

i need help before i pull my hair out

i need help before i pull my hair out

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Here is the link to how I did one of mine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48021-1.htm

Hope the picture helps.
:thumbup: :thumbup: I love your layout, and I hope you don't mind, but I may use it as a reference one of these days!!!
Kif
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM

just wanting to say how nice your fish all are!!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dotski
i'm trying to make a memory quilt for my ddi from her dad's shirts. he was a fisherman so my theme is fish. did some pp fish blocks all different sizes that will be the middle of the quilt. my question is how do i make the sashing to go around them to make them fit in a 24x52 in space.i don't know how else to explain so here is a pic. the boarder is 4 12 in blocks with sashing horizontally. clear as mud ????
Decide how big you can make each finished block then put a border around each fish so that the finished block is the same size.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Couldnt you just add borders to each block to make them all the same size and then add sashing?
If she puts borders the color of the sashing, she wouldn't need sashing.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dotski
i don't think so cause they are unevenly spaced..check out pic. they are more staggered
Yes, they are staggered. But if she borders each of them for a standard size, it won't be staggered any longer. She can still arrange them in quite a few different arrangements, but the standard size is the key.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 AM

I think I would essentially applique the blocks as they are on the material in the place you have them now and sash the edges as you see fit. Maybe you You could find some fishing fabric and use that or water type fabric. Great layout and wonderful paper piecing. Love your idea. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by callie
I think I would essentially applique the blocks as they are on the material in the place you have them now and sash the edges as you see fit. Maybe you You could find some fishing fabric and use that or water type fabric. Great layout and wonderful paper piecing. Love your idea. Good luck.
I agree there is always applique as a last resort. Then everything fits ;-)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM

Since the graph paper idea did not work with your thinking style, maybe you are a visual person?

lay them on an old sheet in the positions you want. draw lines on the sheet where all the "units" (units including sashings) need to link up. measure the distances from the fish to the lines, add 1/2" for SA.

cut sashings of those measurements.

Do you know what you are using for sashing & borders?

I'm thinking river rock or sea plant fabric.

I hope you end up where you want to be! hugs!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM

With so many good suggestions this may be one too many.

If you are having trouble with balance, perhaps you could make some small accent squares to help fill the design--some bubbles, water plants (basically very elongated triangles), a turtle or crayfish or if he was an ocean angler, some sea creatures. What you have looks great. I hope it comes together for you.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM

I would use graph paper also but would take it one step further:

On one piece of graph paper figure out the sizes of each individual square, but keep them proportional (such as one graph square equals one inch). Color each block and cut the pieces out.

Use a second piece of graph paper to lay out each of your "blocks" in a position that pleases you and fits the size you want to keep them contained within. Tape them down then use your scale to figure out the measurements of your sashings for each block.

I have a huge box of colored pencils so that I can make it very clear to myself which color of pencil goes with which fabric. Don't forget to allow for seam allowances before you do the final cutting. I make my drawings the measurements of the finished block.

This may sound pretty simplistic, but it really helps me keep from going bald when trying to design my own layout or alter a pattern I have. I am a very visual person. Hope it makes sense and good luck.