Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help, but I'm picky >

I need help, but I'm picky

I need help, but I'm picky

Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Two blocks #3207 Corn and Beans & Hens and Chicks
Two blocks using a unique technique for half square triangles.

Eleanor Burns you cna wathc the video on her web site using the above reference #
I just saw it on tv yesterday.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 PM

http://fatcatpatterns.com is doing a Bom with chickens the first two are really cute. Try them.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM

I may be mistaken however I thought you were asking for chicken patterns rather than chicken fabric. I found one that does not need to be PP'd or appliqued. See attachment.

I have PM'd an excel spreadsheet that shows how I would make the chicken. I have also included the link where you can buy a pattern. I rarely purchase patterns however I am always willing to give credit for where I see a pattern that I try to replicate. I also included a picture of the original quilt. My favorite chicken is the one that they made with black fabric with white polka dots.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM
tmw

Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Help!

Our guild is making blocks for a lady that has been so very helpful to all of us for many years. She likes chickens, so we are making chicken blocks. We are all supposed to come up with one of our own, so there is no common pattern. Needs to finish 12" sq.

Does anyone no where I can find one? I can't do paper piecing, and not really fond of applique.

Many thanks to any ideas.

Sherry
try looking on Nancy's notions, they might have it,
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Why not try a redwork block? It will add variety to the blocks. If you don't want to do it by hand, Bernina have an embroidery disc with chickens and roosters. I'm sure other brands are available as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 PM

There is a post on here that is titled Funky Chunky Chicken. They are really cute. Check it out.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM

In today's post under Pictures Barboo117 has a cute chicken quilt. You could probably use her pattern and make a block. I don't think it would be hard to look at her picture and make your own block from it.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 AM

I did a cubbie chicks wall hanging (applique) and found some really cute fabric for the binding, the pattern was chicken wire, maybe that would work, still related. I think it came in brown and black "wire", background was white/ off white.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 AM

What about copying a chicken pattern from a coloring book and use CRAYOLA crayons to color it, no applique and no pp just make sure you put a heavy layer of white on the places you want to color then use the colors to finish the design with shading where needed. When done use a paper towel to cover the design and place an iron on the paper towel to remove the wax but leave the colors on the fabric. If you want to outline your design use a fabric marker with a super fine tip. We have a lady in our guild that is doing one with this method and it is gorgeous. She is doing embroidery on the outlines of the design. I can't wait to try this myself. Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM

there are some great chicken fabrics on spoonflower! granted they are more expensive than most quilting fabrics, but you don't have to buy more than a fat quarter. Here are some I saw that I loved!

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/819599

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/665431

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/451006