Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need HELP!!!  FQMing and Viking Saphire 830 sewing machines >

I need HELP!!! FQMing and Viking Saphire 830 sewing machines

I need HELP!!! FQMing and Viking Saphire 830 sewing machines

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Hi Yall, I am trying to find out what I should set my Saphire sewing machine at for tension AFTER I drop the feed dogs.

There are ALSO several setting in the computer side of this machine that I am not certain on. What do I use?

the Freemotion spring action setting? or the Freemotion floating setting for FQM?

I have the optional FQM Open Toed foot with this machine.

freemotion foot side view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151704[/ATTACH]

Freemotion foot end view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151705[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-151699.jpe   attachment-151700.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 AM

If you're using the foot you've shown, you need to set the machine for the spring foot, not the floating, by going into the tools menu.

Also, set the sewing advisor for heavy woven, then test your tension on a sample with the same fabrics and batting. You can adjust the tension up or down as needed.

Some Sapphires have a nasty habit of letting the thread slip off the take up lever. If your machine hasn't been fitted with the new take up lever (it was redesigned to prevent this from happening), then thread the take up lever from left to right.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 AM

Hinter I am not sure what to use on it for tension, I have put it up and down and still not getting the tension right I have had it down to 2 and the needle thread is thru to the bottom yet when I move the upper tension knob up one or two notches it is thru the top I am getting frustrated with it!! It is a good machine otherwise.

OK another question how do I set the sewing advisor ?

Originally Posted by Hinterland
If you're using the foot you've shown, you need to set the machine for the spring foot, not the floating, by going into the tools menu.

Also, for heavy woven, then test your tension on a sample with the same fabrics and batting. You can adjust the tension up or down as needed.

Some Sapphires have a nasty habit of letting the thread slip off the take up lever. If your machine hasn't been fitted with the new take up lever (it was redesigned to prevent this from happening), then thread the take up lever from left to right.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Don't know if this will help your tension but I took this suggestion from Leah Day. I leave my feed dogs up, cover with the Supreme Slider and I don't have tension problems. My Viking has an auto tension setting but before I tried this I had to fiddle with the tension and had trouble getting it right.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Hi there, do you have the books that came with your machine? I have the 870 so not sure if it's the same. Today I did some FMQ... I go in spurts & starts & stops..... my settings: I dropped the feed dogs....used a 30 wt cotton thread in both top & bobbin.... selected the "C" as far as the thickness goes....changed the tools to spring foot..... also put on a single hole plate that I purchased. I have only 3 rows completed and so far the back looks not too bad. Good luck!