Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I NEED HELP FROM HAND QUILTERS...

I wonder if someone can help me with a hand quilting project. I want to hand quilt a full size quilt without a frame or hoop. My question is how do you keep the backing from getting out of wack while quilting? I have it basted, but it still moves around.
    Thanks, Pam

How closely did you baste the sandwich? I usually do about 4 inches apart in both directions. 'Never moves.

Blog Entries
    I use Sharon Schambers method of basting and it truly does not move! She does kind of a herringbone stitch and it holds the layers together.

I used medium size safety pins about every 3 - 4 inches each way, in the opposite part of the block from where I was planning to do my quilting...ie at intersection of blocks if quilting through center of block or in center of block if quilting through the intersections. And did not remove the pins until I had quilted both ways (horizontal and vertical or both diagonals) through the block.

Start from the center and work your way outwards. Feel it with your fingers underneath to keep from having puckers.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Start from the center and work your way outwards. Feel it with your fingers underneath to keep from having puckers.
    Ditto, my words exactly. BUT basting is a big part of that.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    USE COTTON batting!!! Cotton batting has an affinity for cotton fabrics, helps to hold the layers together Of course, basting is still required. (Can't believe I just used that word "required"!)

Jan in VA

You've got great tips here already! There's not a lot I can add. I pin-baste every 3-4 inches, I use my fist to "measure" between pins.

I DO use a hoop, Its just what I'm used to , I can't do it any other way. Its one of the oval ones with a stand. Sometimes I use the stand, sometimes not.

Blog Entries
    I have better luck thread basting with that herringbone stitch, large stitches on the front and small ones on the back. When I pin baste, the pins are always in the way in the hoop.

I hand quilt all my quilts and quilt them on a 4'x2' table. I use spray basting and have minimal problems .

I'm used to using a hoop so I really can't help much. But I use poly or wool batting and baste with small brass safety pins.

I baste 6 inces apart and then when I want to quilt, I usually add some quilting safety or straight pins to help everything lay right in the are I'm handquilting.

Blog Entries
    I always baste using the herringbone stitch for hand quilting. That seems to hold the layers together very well. (Do have to baste about every 2 inches both horizontally and vertically if you don't want to use a hoop). Pin basting works OK for machine quilting. Haven't tried spray basting.

Thanks ladies, I appreciate the help. I just may have to try all of these wonderful tips. Pam