Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need help

I need help

Hi
    I am trying to make a farmers daughter block. Can anyone tell me what size to cut the blocks? What size for the triangles? They come out a lot smaller than my squares.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ms Kay

Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I saw that Eleanor Burns on her TV series has that block in one of her newest books about Barns. She had an easy method for making the block. I am not sure if you can watch those episodes as of yet on her website. If there is a quilt shop or JoAnn's near by, you might want to take a peak at the book. Good Luck
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Is this the block? http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/...block-one.html If it is, it is a 5x5 layout, so it would come out nicely as any multiple of 5. That would mean a 10" block if each section is 2". Or a 7.5" block if each section is 1.5". You get the idea. You can really make it any size you want, but it's easier if each section is a size that's easy to measure. (Unless you want to use templates.)

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    If you are making a 10" block, the squares would be 2.5" and the squares to start your half square triangles are 3" (technically, 2 7/8", but I always make them big and square up ti size later). If it is 15"' then 3.5" and 4"' etc. if you are trying to use 2.5" squares, cut them apart and sew them back together, they will be too small because of the seam allowance.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Thank you krisb. I will give it a try. The people on this board are so helpful. :-)
    Ms Kay

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I saw that Eleanor Burns on her TV series has that block in one of her newest books about Barns. She had an easy method for making the block. I am not sure if you can watch those episodes as of yet on her website. If there is a quilt shop or JoAnn's near by, you might want to take a peak at the book. Good Luck
    Eleanor's video is on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61F_7Gtsck

Power Poster
    Check out quilterscache.com - made a blue/white farmer's daughter or sister's choice quilt in memory of my sister 2 years ago for our family reunion came out great.