Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help! >

I need help!

I need help!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 AM

I'm putting names and adoption dates (of cats that have been adopted out of the local shelter) on the sashing of the kitty quilt. I was going to hand paint the names on with fabric paint then cure it, but I don't want to do that anymore. I want to stitch by machine but I'm not sure how to go about it. If I were to hand stitch, which I don't want to unless I absolutely have to, it would be done in just a simple back stitch, but seeing as I want to do it on my machine, how do I? Do I leave the presser foot on or take it off, ect ect?? Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

does your machine do embroidery such as letters or numbers? either way, leave your foot on. my machine tells me what foot to use for what i'm doing at the time.
it would have to be a foot that can take a zig zag if your machine does it automatically.
if you are to do them yourself, are you going to applique and stitch around those or just mark them and stitch?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
does your machine do embroidery such as letters or numbers? either way, leave your foot on. my machine tells me what foot to use for what i'm doing at the time.
it would have to be a foot that can take a zig zag if your machine does it automatically.
if you are to do them yourself, are you going to applique and stitch around those or just mark them and stitch?
I have just a basic machine with 10 stitches :( I don't really want them to have the embroidered look, I'd like to do a simple straight stitch, just to quickly get the names on so I can sandwich and baste and get quilting :)
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I use a Pigma pen to sign some of my quilts. They are the ones that don't wash out.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 AM

I haven't used Pigma pens but i have heard a TON of great things about them. I would like to buy some.

They sound like a great way to finish your project.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM

I made a label once just by setting my machine up for free motion quilting and then, so I would be able to do continuous writing, wrote/sewed in cursive. I realized that trying to do block style letters would be a royal pain.

Before attaching the sashing, iron the sashing onto the shiny side of freezer paper. Or use any stabilizer of your choice. I've heard of people using washaway stabilizer. Practice and see if you like how it looks. Mine looked just like handwriting.