Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need information on Ergonomic cutters >

I need information on Ergonomic cutters

I need information on Ergonomic cutters

Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 AM

The press down roller cutters are not working for me. Where do I find the newer ones and do I look for a certain brand, size? Thanks
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Martelli's rotary cutter is ergonomic; I like it a lot. You can see video demonstrations of it at their website:
http://www.martellinotions.com/

Another option is the Accuquilt Go! die cutting system. A lot of quilters are opting for that because most of the work is done with a crank. The website is:
http://www.accuquilt.com/

There are a lot of video demo's of the accuquilt Go! on Youtube also.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 AM

I have a Martelli cutter and I love it!! It is much easier on my shoulder and can cut thru more layers of fabric. I highly recommend it!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I have been looking at the Martelli's too... to be able to use my whole hand is a plus. I wish that I could find one in a shop so that I can try it out... that is the best way for me to know... I need to know if it puts strain on the wrist?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amma
I have been looking at the Martelli's too... to be able to use my whole hand is a plus. I wish that I could find one in a shop so that I can try it out... that is the best way for me to know... I need to know if it puts strain on the wrist?
No. It keeps the wrist in a neutral position. Basically you push down with your entire arm rather than with your wrist.

It does take some getting used to. I'm not sure if it would work well in a Shape Cut; never thought to try it on that. For regular cutting, though, it is easier on the wrist than other cutters.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Is the Shape Cut the ruler with the slits every half inch? If so, I use my Martelli on it all the time.

I love the Martelli and hardly use my other cutters anymore. I have tendonitis in my right hand and I would hurt when using the regular cutters. With the Martelli, I don't. They are expensive but so worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I also have the Martelli, and love it. I was having a lot of pain in my wrist when I would cut for awhile. It took me a little time to get used to it. LOL But I love it now. The blade seems to be thinner, but sharper to me
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Is the Shape Cut the ruler with the slits every half inch? If so, I use my Martelli on it all the time.

I love the Martelli and hardly use my other cutters anymore. I have tendonitis in my right hand and I would hurt when using the regular cutters. With the Martelli, I don't. They are expensive but so worth it in my opinion.
Yes, that's the ruler I meant -- the one with the slits in it.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by amma
No. It keeps the wrist in a neutral position. Basically you push down with your entire arm rather than with your wrist.

It does take some getting used to. I'm not sure if it would work well in a Shape Cut; never thought to try it on that. For regular cutting, though, it is easier on the wrist than other cutters.

I use my shape cut ruller all the time!!! For every quilt. It works great with it!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the additional info :D:D:D
I will be watching for a sale on these!