Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need math help.... >

I need math help....

I need math help....

Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by gale
It's not possible to make 2.25 x 2.25 x 4.25 triangle. The two short sides combined HAVE to be bigger (more than .25" bigger for sure) than the third side.
At least that what's Pythagoras was yapping about 2500 years ago. :mrgreen:
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM

LOL! I know. I was such a great algebra/calculus/stats student. I always bombed geometry. I liked drawing the pictures but failed at the theorems.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
MTS
Banned

OK, so we're doing some Seminole piecing.

What you want are called "setting triangles," which should be cut as QST's so you don't have any bias on the outside edge. You can google or search this board for more detailed explanations.

The formula to figure out the size of the square needed is the finished size of your desired block x 1.41.

Round up to the nearest 1/4", and then cut the square diagonally twice. (I actually round up more because I prefer my blocks to float.)

2" x 1.41 = 2.82 Cut the squares 3".

Can I suggest starching the fabric well before cutting as there will be exposed bias edges? And you really don't need them to stretch while trying to put this together.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Sherrie, that should help.

Essentially, I want a trapezoid that is three pieces, two triangles and a rectangle. I feel silly because it is all drawn out and neatly measured on paper. The second I start throwing in seam allowances, everything goes crazy.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Yes, I had planned on starching because I knew the material would stretch all sorts of ways.

I will google setting triangles.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM

If you can draw it out, you can cut it into pieces, then add seam allowances (by drawing on another paper) and cut out templates. You can use your ruler and rotary cutter to cut them out by taping the templates to your ruler and lining it up that way.

I can't see the image because I use an older version of word.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
How about making a square exactly the size of the narrow side of the rectangle? Draw a pencil line diagonally from one corner to the other. Place the square right sides together over the end of the rectangle matching the cut edges. Sew on the diagonal line and trim 1/4 inch from the stitching line. Now the rectangle should have a half-square triangle that finishes off the rectangle! Hope that is what you are wanting. Happy quilting! :)
Which would leave every edge on the top and bottom along the whole piece as exposed bias.

Not a fan of that.

Unless it's paper-pieced. I know there are many quilts and blocks floating around with it, but I can't see adding a potential complication into the mix. ;-)

The pattern is a basic Seminole design - like this except with the rectangle is one solid fabric:
http://www.craftstylish.com/item/4318/seminole-piecing
Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM

I do have it drawn out on the graph paper. I have some plastic quilting template. Maybe I should cut out a finished triangle (2x2x4)

Oh wait.... ignore everything I have been typing. I forgot that I haven't drawn everything to perfect scale, since the paper is smaller. My finished pieces are going to be much larger than 2x2x4.

Maybe I should go and make me some coffee. I will work on this some more and follow up when I get myself straightened out.

Sorry! :oops:
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM

Not perfect scale isn't the right words.

I just made each block equal 2 inches, not 1 inch. Which would effect my end triangle.

Either way, I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
MTS
Banned

Go back to my previous post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101870-1.htm#2589620

That is how the measurements are calculated.

To get a sense of the concept, try cutting a scrap rectangle, and a scrap square (3"), and follow those directions for cutting the QST's, and see how it all goes together.

It's a really weird concept and takes some getting used to. But once understood, it really can make your quilting life easier.