Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

I just received an invite to a baby shower that is only 5 days away. Can you recommend a pattern that is easy but looks like it took a lot of time?

10 minute block

Blog Entries
    The fastest for me would be a rail fence in 3 or 4 coordinating fabrics. I would strip-piece sets, then cut into squares. After piecing the center I might add a border (or 3) out of remaining fabrics.

A DP9 would take me a little longer (have to create 9-patch blocks, cut them, then reassemble) but it looks complicated.

Warm Wishes is another one that would take me a little longer, but it's really easy to do with a focus fabric and two solid colors.

Wonky Stars! 2 1/2" squares, lots of scraps!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hilary

This is maybe not what you had quite in mind - there are lots of gorgeous baby panels that look amazing with trapunto and some lovely borders.

Blog Entries
    "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    MSQC put up a pattern a bit ago called The Merry Go Round quilt. It looks kind of like the Garden Maze pattern but is really simple if you watch Jenny's youtube video.

The classic "looks hard but is easy" is the D4P. But why does it need to look complicated? Simple can be really pretty too, just letting the fabrics have the spotlight. A simple 9 patch with prints alternated with white would be really sweet.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    MSQC put up a pattern a bit ago called The Merry Go Round quilt. It looks kind of like the Garden Maze pattern but is really simple if you watch Jenny's youtube video.
    Oh cute! I hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks for sharing it.

Blog Entries
    i'm like you, but now i'm thinking, you may get a lot of invites from that quilt...people may say, she's a wiz, can wip up a quilt in only a few hours. be caerfulwith the quick looks hard idea, been there, done that. good luck

Blog Entries
    I agree with PaperPrincess. This is fast, easy and looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Made the merry go round from MSQC easy and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
    I just received an invite to a baby shower that is only 5 days away. Can you recommend a pattern that is easy but looks like it took a lot of time?
    They'd get a gift cert from me. Their failure to plan ahead does not constitute an emergency on my part. I'm pretty sure they knew more than 5 days in advance they were having a baby shower.

Blog Entries
    Name:  Baby T's quilt.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  141.1 KB Chevron made with strips, cut and placed on the diagonal. If you know the gender, it would be an easy quilt.

Try Warm Wishes pattern
    Sheena

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    The fastest for me would be a rail fence in 3 or 4 coordinating fabrics. I would strip-piece sets, then cut into squares. After piecing the center I might add a border (or 3) out of remaining fabrics.

A DP9 would take me a little longer (have to create 9-patch blocks, cut them, then reassemble) but it looks complicated.

Warm Wishes is another one that would take me a little longer, but it's really easy to do with a focus fabric and two solid colors.
    I'd think Warm Wishes would be quicker than a rail fence, since half the blocks are just two focus fabrics of one fabric per square.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes! really - really fast and easy but looks hard. Jenny Doan from Missuri quilt company. I've made quite afew of these---They are awesome and EASY!!! oH AND ALOT OF FUN TOO!!!She has a step by step tatorial
    Last edited by fallonquilter; 08-14-2013 at 04:04 AM.

I love the 3 dudes quilt pattern with Jelly Rolls

I just finished a disappearing four patch. Loved the results and much quicker that I thought it would be. I made 12" blocks (finished) and a 1.5 in inner border and a 3 inch outer border and diagonal quilting and some stitch in the ditch and send it off.

Blog Entries
    I too just found out my niece , who has been trying to have a baby for 4 years is adopting a baby girl. I just saw this disappearing 16 patch on fav quilts a few minutes ago. http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...VhKWfCWfZsX.32 . Hope the link works. I am debating between the 16 patch and the Merry go round and the 3 dudes pattern. I had just decided I was going to play in my sewing room all day today on another project. I guess my plans have changed.

Blog Entries
    Check out Jenny Doan's ( missouri star quilt co.) pinwheel quilt on UTube....REALLY fast using 2 charm packs, one solid, one print

Blog Entries
    The 16 patch sound really interesting. I get this newsletter everyday and missed this one. Thanks for sharing meanmom

Why not something simple like a solid square (focus fabric) alternated with four patches (2 coordinating/contrasting fabrics). or snowballs alternating with a 9-patch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I too just found out my niece , who has been trying to have a baby for 4 years is adopting a baby girl. I just saw this disappearing 16 patch on fav quilts a few minutes ago. http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...VhKWfCWfZsX.32 . Hope the link works. I am debating between the 16 patch and the Merry go round and the 3 dudes pattern. I had just decided I was going to play in my sewing room all day today on another project. I guess my plans have changed.
    Melissa Corey says she is wife and mother to 5 kiddos by day and by night and naptime she is a happy quilter. I noticed her post on the disappearing 16 patch was sent at 5:?? AM. Or maybe it was an earlier time. I can relate!
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast