Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    94

    I need a quick baby quilt that looks complicated!

    I just received an invite to a baby shower that is only 5 days away. Can you recommend a pattern that is easy but looks like it took a lot of time?

  2. #2
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    10 minute block

  3. #3
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,953
    Blog Entries
    1
    The fastest for me would be a rail fence in 3 or 4 coordinating fabrics. I would strip-piece sets, then cut into squares. After piecing the center I might add a border (or 3) out of remaining fabrics.

    A DP9 would take me a little longer (have to create 9-patch blocks, cut them, then reassemble) but it looks complicated.

    Warm Wishes is another one that would take me a little longer, but it's really easy to do with a focus fabric and two solid colors.

  4. #4
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,057
    Wonky Stars! 2 1/2" squares, lots of scraps!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hilary

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    635
    This is maybe not what you had quite in mind - there are lots of gorgeous baby panels that look amazing with trapunto and some lovely borders.

  6. #6
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,158
    Blog Entries
    2
    "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,406
    MSQC put up a pattern a bit ago called The Merry Go Round quilt. It looks kind of like the Garden Maze pattern but is really simple if you watch Jenny's youtube video.

  8. #8
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    19,504
    The classic "looks hard but is easy" is the D4P. But why does it need to look complicated? Simple can be really pretty too, just letting the fabrics have the spotlight. A simple 9 patch with prints alternated with white would be really sweet.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    MSQC put up a pattern a bit ago called The Merry Go Round quilt. It looks kind of like the Garden Maze pattern but is really simple if you watch Jenny's youtube video.
    Oh cute! I hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks for sharing it.

  10. #10
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    24,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    i'm like you, but now i'm thinking, you may get a lot of invites from that quilt...people may say, she's a wiz, can wip up a quilt in only a few hours. be caerfulwith the quick looks hard idea, been there, done that. good luck

  11. #11
    Super Member KerryK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Heart of Dixie, Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,011
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree with PaperPrincess. This is fast, easy and looks great!

    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    "Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Ixvjje310
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

  12. #12
    Power Poster mighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Upland CA
    Posts
    18,358
    Made the merry go round from MSQC easy and fast.

  13. #13
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
    I just received an invite to a baby shower that is only 5 days away. Can you recommend a pattern that is easy but looks like it took a lot of time?
    They'd get a gift cert from me. Their failure to plan ahead does not constitute an emergency on my part. I'm pretty sure they knew more than 5 days in advance they were having a baby shower.

  14. #14
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,578
    Blog Entries
    19
    Name:  Baby T's quilt.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  141.1 KB Chevron made with strips, cut and placed on the diagonal. If you know the gender, it would be an easy quilt.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Aust
    Posts
    1,499
    Try Warm Wishes pattern
    Sheena

  16. #16
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    The fastest for me would be a rail fence in 3 or 4 coordinating fabrics. I would strip-piece sets, then cut into squares. After piecing the center I might add a border (or 3) out of remaining fabrics.

    A DP9 would take me a little longer (have to create 9-patch blocks, cut them, then reassemble) but it looks complicated.

    Warm Wishes is another one that would take me a little longer, but it's really easy to do with a focus fabric and two solid colors.
    I'd think Warm Wishes would be quicker than a rail fence, since half the blocks are just two focus fabrics of one fabric per square.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  17. #17
    Senior Member hevemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Turku, Finland
    Posts
    596

  18. #18
    Junior Member fallonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada
    Posts
    192
    Blog Entries
    5
    Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes! really - really fast and easy but looks hard. Jenny Doan from Missuri quilt company. I've made quite afew of these---They are awesome and EASY!!! oH AND ALOT OF FUN TOO!!!She has a step by step tatorial
    Last edited by fallonquilter; 08-14-2013 at 04:04 AM.

  19. #19
    Power Poster twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    15,482
    I love the 3 dudes quilt pattern with Jelly Rolls

  20. #20
    Super Member WMUTeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portage, Michigan
    Posts
    3,244
    I just finished a disappearing four patch. Loved the results and much quicker that I thought it would be. I made 12" blocks (finished) and a 1.5 in inner border and a 3 inch outer border and diagonal quilting and some stitch in the ditch and send it off.

  21. #21
    Super Member meanmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    3,690
    Blog Entries
    1
    I too just found out my niece , who has been trying to have a baby for 4 years is adopting a baby girl. I just saw this disappearing 16 patch on fav quilts a few minutes ago. http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...VhKWfCWfZsX.32 . Hope the link works. I am debating between the 16 patch and the Merry go round and the 3 dudes pattern. I had just decided I was going to play in my sewing room all day today on another project. I guess my plans have changed.

  22. #22
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,749
    Blog Entries
    54
    Check out Jenny Doan's ( missouri star quilt co.) pinwheel quilt on UTube....REALLY fast using 2 charm packs, one solid, one print

  23. #23
    Super Member btiny36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Heart of grain field
    Posts
    1,838
    Blog Entries
    4
    The 16 patch sound really interesting. I get this newsletter everyday and missed this one. Thanks for sharing meanmom

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,197
    Why not something simple like a solid square (focus fabric) alternated with four patches (2 coordinating/contrasting fabrics). or snowballs alternating with a 9-patch.

  25. #25
    Senior Member GramMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    505
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    I too just found out my niece , who has been trying to have a baby for 4 years is adopting a baby girl. I just saw this disappearing 16 patch on fav quilts a few minutes ago. http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...VhKWfCWfZsX.32 . Hope the link works. I am debating between the 16 patch and the Merry go round and the 3 dudes pattern. I had just decided I was going to play in my sewing room all day today on another project. I guess my plans have changed.
    Melissa Corey says she is wife and mother to 5 kiddos by day and by night and naptime she is a happy quilter. I noticed her post on the disappearing 16 patch was sent at 5:?? AM. Or maybe it was an earlier time. I can relate!
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.