Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need sewing machine help.....

I need sewing machine help.....

As I was sewing last night, my sewing machine started acting up. The photo below is of the back of the fabric, the thread, i think, is from the bobbin.

Name:  photo (3).JPG
Views: 2266
Size:  216.1 KB

Much to my sadness, my machine is going to the sewing machine hospital as soon as I can drive to Greensburg. Anybody have any ideas?
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Have you tried to re-thread the entire machine, new bobbin, new needle and reset it back to factory tensions? That might help. Have you used this thread successfully before? If not, try one you have used.

Power Poster
    One of the first suggestions is to rethread the top and take out the bobbin and reload it in the bobbin case.

Blog Entries
    I would second the rethreading idea. I would also change the needle, and make sure the presser foot is down!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would just try re-doing everything. Make sure the bobbins is in correctly.

Blog Entries
    I also say same as above but make sure in the top it is threaded correctly and bobbin in correct way does it need a clean in the teeth or bobbin areas oil.
    Finished is better than a UFO

You might want to clean out your bobbin case too.

Everyone has great suggestions. Change threads too! My machine is picky about the manufacturer of different threads.
    Don't sing of yesterday; yesterday is gone. Tomorrow isn't written. Make today your song.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    When this happens to me, which it does a couple of times a year, I unthread it, take the bobbin out, and take out the plate. Then I get my bottle of rubbing alcohol and q-tips, my vacuum attachment and I clean everything. Then I oil it and put the plate back on, followed by rethreading, and putting the bobbin back in. I have found that sometimes it was how I was holding my mouth or something when I was threading it. The rest of the time it has been a itty-bitty piece of thread or just some fuzz built up. Either way, completely taking it apart and putting it back together fresh and clean (and oiled) seems to fix it. Good luck!
    Heidi
    Life is like a tornado watch. You can hunker down in the cellar or stand on the roof and let the wind give you rock star hair!

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Also, Lisa, when the thread does this on the bottom of the fabric, if it is a tension issue, is from the upper tension, not the bobbin tension.
    Heidi
    Life is like a tornado watch. You can hunker down in the cellar or stand on the roof and let the wind give you rock star hair!

Blog Entries
    just another thought... did you have the presser foot down?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Did any of these hints work? Sometimes you may have one weight thread on the bottom or top that is different so make sure they are the same weight too. Good Luck

Blog Entries
    When I have bird nests that severe it's because I recently rethreaded the machine and missed the take up lever or, on one machine, the thread jumped out of the take up lever. I vote for a quick cleaning and rethreading, too.

Be sure and check the bobbin race for any extra thread that may be looped around something. Sometimes they can be hidden and hard to see but certainly cause problems such as you show.

Lisa, this happens to me occasionally. Like everyone has suggested... rethread, clean under the throat plate and the bobbin race and I bet it will sew just fine.

P.S. I wouldn't mess with the tension till you've done all the above and tried sewing again.
    Last edited by HillCountryGal; 07-12-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: for a P.S.

I agree with all of the above. However, I do check my tension first because it is so easy for me to accidentally change the top tension when I move around in my 'studio.' It must be how I move, exp when I am carrying something. The machine is just at the right level for me to brush against the top tension adjustment wheel.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Everyone has given really great advice I hope all is working now!!!

Blog Entries
    and if you are doing free motion quilting by chance, you need to pull your bobbin thread up to the top and hold it and the top thread and take a few stitches.

Mine does that when I forget to lower the presser foot. otherwise I'd recheck the threading

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    just another thought... did you have the presser foot down?
    This was my question, too. When I'm FMQing I sometimes forget to put the pressure foot down before I start and this is what it looks like on the back.

Blog Entries
    Just another hint . My machine has just done a similiar problem . I knew it was the bobbin almost empty of thread. Stopped filled bobbin put back hey presto no more birds nest.
    Finished is better than a UFO

it could also be your bobbin is not wound right so try another bobbin to. Or you don't have enough thread on bobbin when it gets low sometimes that happens.
    Deb

Love the phrase "how I was holding my mouth". My mom used to say, "You're not holding your mouth right." when she would see us struggling with something.

Not sure what machine you have, but my 6600 does this once in a while....all I have to do is turn it off and then on....some "technical" glitch in the tension discs....or sometimes the thread pops out of the guides.

You ladies and gentlemen are the best, I tried all of your suggestions and now I am sewing beautifully. I think it was really dirty as I got all kinds of dust bunnies out of the machine. I also changed the bobbins and the thread. Thanks for all the advice.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast