Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some encouragement on my quilting... >

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM

I do outline stitching or sid, and have got up to king size. I have yet to have the family I gave them to be quilting police. thing i do though is plenty of basting so it doesn't buckle/ Haven't taught myself feathers and such and don't like free motion that well. will learn on smaller projects for those
Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Power Poster

I practice on smaller quilts and t hen donate them to charity. It is not easy for me to do FMQ on a domestic. But I cannot afford many of the quilts being done professionally. I love them but they do not love my budget.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
Your getting your knickers in a twist, it is a whole load of fabric beautifully chosen and put together, now it is time for you to put your own personality on your very own completed quilt.

Have a go at what I started at, wavy straight lines! Nobody's will look the same as mine as we all get our own rhythm of it but it is so effective. Once you have mastered that you can start putting little flowers, hearts or clover incorporated. Check out Leah Day's site, she is what gave me the determination to do it and now I am one of the very few here in North Wales that do FMQ, so much so that I am giving workshops on it, but believe me I am not perfect or advanced I just like my quilts to look like proper quilts. Umm looking at the pics they look a bit scruffy but in fact they are fine, it's just Muffin had taken a particular fancy to this quilt!
Thank you for asking the question I have wanted to for a long time. Thank you everyone for the wonderful answers to it. I did not even know you did anything but tie a quilt until I found this board. Then I was overwhelmed by my naivemess (sp) when I saw the wonderful work on this site. I just got a Janome DC2011 a couple years ago and did not have the money, room, or talent to get into long arm. By learning all the new things on my machine, and trying to sew THEN seeing this wonderful stuff on this site- with all the advice and pictures from around the world I am going to try to feebly attempt to free quilt by practice, practice, practice (yes, I got that part). Again, thank you so much for asking the question and all the others sharing.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM

I started FMQing when I started quilting. I have to admit the piecing was easier to learn than the FMQ. One day I realized I could doodle vines and simple flowers, a curly-q intersected with stars or circles or diamonds, I could write my name of course, so I just went with these things for FMQing designs. I have added a few other things to my quilting in the last year or so. Just remember, if you can do it on paper, you can do it with the machine.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Yes, You Can Do It

I won't send a quilt "out" for quilting as then it just doesn't feel like it is "my quilt." - I used to hand quilt all my quilts but won't live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make if they are hand quilted. I now machine quilt ALL my quilts (have made several king size quilts) and quilted them on my domestic machine. I got started by reading and doing the exercises recommended in the book "Machine Quilting A primer of techniques" by Sue Nickels ISBN # 1-57432-830-1" and the rest is history. That book got me started and it is wonderful. Good luck. I promise you will be amazed by what YOU can do!!