Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some information concerning Singapore >

I need some information concerning Singapore

I need some information concerning Singapore

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Smile I need some information concerning Singapore

My friend and her husband are moving to Singapore to work with Trans World Radio. They are only taking suitcases, getting an apartment. She is thinking it doesn't make sense to take her machine because of all the adapter issues etc. She wants to buy a machine there if she can afford to, but has no idea what brands are available or what the cost would be for a decent machine for quilting and home dec etc. Also are there Quilters there? Fabric types and availability? What online stores are not shipping cost prohibitive? I would appreciate any advice or information I can pass on to her.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Singapore is the neighbor of Indonesia where many beautiful batiks are made. English is one of the main languages for Singapore. She should be able to find many types of machines available there, I know that just about every electronic imaginable is available there. (Shopping in Singapore is like shopping in any of the major shopping cities, New York, London, Atlanta)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM

nope, buy a machine there...quilting does not require more than a basic...i piece and quilt on my treadles all the time. and it is far more cost effective to sell it to another enthusiast when she leaves than to ship one both ways and worry about adapter problems. they do not always protect the electronics completely and she would be putting her machine at risk. and she's in Singapore! silk? satin? suiting? please...don't worry about her finding fabric! I want her to send me some!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks she's been there the closest I've been is Thailand. Im hoping to give her some establishments to check out. Should have found out the side of the city they are going to live I know there's an Australian school in that area where she's going to see if she can do some substitute teaching. It's so large that's probably not much help.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Hancocks of paducah have free shipping from time to time, even international.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM

When I was in Singapore, there was a nice craft store at a mall, similar to Joanns. I also found some cross stich shops. I think there are a couple of quilt shops but I didn't visit them.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM

The best thing to to is to get in touch with the American Women's Society if they have one there. Most large cities overseas do, for Expats. She will find a wealth of connections that way.