Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need some math help

I need some math help

I am making a t-shirt quilt out of my old t-shirts. I am having a devil of a time with the math. I think I'm having a senior moment but it frustrating me to death. So here's the deal:

obviously various different sized blocks, need to finish to 15". So I take my block width measurement which is 7" subtract it from 15" which is 8, divide by 2 (for each side of block) and add back seam allowance of .50 (.25 for each side). But my measurements aren't working. So what am I missing.

TIA,

Bunny

Blog Entries
    what is not working? my thought---is the 7" (would need to be 7 1/2") if it only measures 7" then your finished size is 6 1/2" not 7...so you need to add 8 1/2" to get to 15 (+ seam allowance) so 9" = not 8 1/2"
    i hope that helps.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Are you allowing for your seam allowance that will come off the 7 inch block? On your side pieces you will have to have a seam allowance on both sides of your side pieces also. I believe that you need a 4.5 piece, 7.5 t-square, and another 4.5 piece to equal your width of finished 15 inch block. If you cut your t-shirt blocks 7 inches it will finish at 6.5, so in that case your Pieces need to be 4.75 piece, 7 in block center, and another 4.75. I could be wrong, but this is the way I would figure it. Hope this helps.

Why do all the blocks have to be the same size. Look at some of the lovely Tshirt quilts where the sizes vary. They are very attractive.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali