Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need some small scissors... any suggestions?

When I first started quilting, my sister gave me her small scissors and they've been great, but I guess I've worn them out! :? I would like to buy a new pair of scissors, but don't have a clue as to what I should get. I know there are a lot out there. Straight blades? Curved blades? Any special brand better than the others? Thanks for your help.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I bought a small pair of Mundial 3 1/2 inch stork embroidery scissors (Lifetime Guarantee)
    last week at Shipshewana, Indiana to put on a cord to go around my neck with the retractable cord

this is what I bought I paid $7.50 for mine at a local shop in Shipshewana, Indiana

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...=Google%20Base

I'm an ex cross-stitcher and I swear by Gingher scissors or Dovos. I use Gingher dressmaker shears for any cutting I need to do that doesn't require rotary cutting. They are expensive but will last a lifetime. I've gotten cheapies before but they don't feel the same when cutting. I would stay away from the bent applique scissors by Gingher though, they aren't great.

I have a pair of Gingher Embroidery 4" scissors that I love. Nice sharp point and cut beautifully.

I actually have a pair of tiny silver scissors that came in one of those nail care kits. I use it all the time and keep it next to my sewing machine to cut threads. Not to mention it doubles as a really good seam ripper of sorts - I never use my actual seam ripper!

I knew I could count on you all to help me. :thumbup:
    Thanks so much for your ideas. Now I think I can go shopping tomorrow with no worries.
    Thanks again!

I use little Fiskers with the orange handles. They are so sharp and you get a really great cut with them. Wal-Mart has them for about 10 dollars. You can also get a little sharpener for them.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    I have a pair of Gingher Embroidery 4" scissors that I love. Nice sharp point and cut beautifully.
    Yup Me too.. I love mine.. Best investment for the money.. I have the stork ones too but I prefer the Gingher -I think the Ginghers are so much better. Plus they fit better in my hand. Joanne fabric has them, wait till they go on sale or use their coupons because they are a bit costly.. But well worth the money..

My wife loves her Gingher stork scissors. I prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Scissor.../dp/B000OED5EK

When I picked these up at Sewing Machines Etc, the owner told me that men seemed to prefer this style. I figured for $5 I couldn't go wrong. I ended up loving them, and went back for another pair to keep with the quilting machine. Kim has tried mine, but she is sold on her emroidery scissors. To each his (or her) own.

Darren

Kas
    I have a tiny pair of KAI scissors I got at a craft show. They have the tiniest points. I love them.

I have a few pairs of scissors. For reasonably priced scissors I really, really, like the Elan brand. For more expesive scissors I really like Dovo and Bohin.

I'll put in another vote for the 4" Gingher. The ones I got also have the larger finger holes. They are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Blog Entries
    If you know anyone that is a nurse,they have some great small scissors I use to cut thread with and embroidery with. They have to throw the scissors away once they open the kits,and use in an emergency situation. You can also get them from someone that works in a trama unit,all of their scissors has to be thrown away. You can also purchase them at a hospital pharmacy.

Blog Entries
    I swear by the KAI embroidery scissors. They are so sharp and I think the best pair of scissors I own. I take good care of them too.

I really like the Gingher ones too. I've never had the hospital ones, although I have heard they are good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    I have a tiny pair of KAI scissors I got at a craft show. They have the tiniest points. I love them.

I have these too! They are fabulous for cutting threads off of quilts and great for machine and hand embroidery threads & applique as the points are truly tiny and fine. I have gingher, weiss and several other top brands but the KAI are my all time favorites.

Well.... now that I am totally confused! 8-) hehe
    Thank you all for your help on what scissors to get. I actually think a lot will depend on what is available around here. (I live out in the boonies) But I had no idea what to look for in the first place. I have brand names written down and this is a good reason to go shopping... yeah, like I need one. :shock:

I have the Gingher embroidery scissors also, and I love them. I have a pair of the stork scissors too but, while they are very sharp, they're just a little small for me to work with. The Gingher's are also a little more expensive, but I feel they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    My wife loves her Gingher stork scissors. I prefer these: http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Scissor.../dp/B000OED5EK

When I picked these up at Sewing Machines Etc, the owner told me that men seemed to prefer this style. I figured for $5 I couldn't go wrong. I ended up loving them, and went back for another pair to keep with the quilting machine. Kim has tried mine, but she is sold on her emroidery scissors. To each his (or her) own.

Darren
    I love these snips too - much easier to pick up and put down. I never use small scissors. Also in my travelling sewing set I have a pair of squissors and they are so sharp. Tiny blades that you just squeeze together. I use these when I'm hand sewing or on holiday. http://www.hcrafts.com/squissors.html

Quote Originally Posted by grammiepamie
    I use little Fiskers with the orange handles. They are so sharp and you get a really great cut with them. Wal-Mart has them for about 10 dollars. You can also get a little sharpener for them.
    I have these as well, and actually got the ones with the flexible handles. Very comfortable to use and SHARP!