Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I removed Permanent Ink on Quilt... thank Heaven!!

I removed Permanent Ink on Quilt... thank Heaven!!

I was marking a quilt block this afternoon, I reached for my water soluble pen and instead picked up a permanent ultra fine point Sharpie. Before I even realized my mistake, I marked the quilt block... Minor as the markings were I ran for the can of hair spray and saturated the marking. I used my fingernail to gently scrape the area of the markings and after about 20 seconds the marks began to lighten... A bit more encouragement from my fingernail and the entire mark disappeared. I sprayed it with water and let it dry naturally. So far so good!!! Hope this helps someone else who may have accidentally marked with the wrong marking pen!!!
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

Well it will sure help me if I can remember that wonderful little tip! Thanks so much.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your experience/tip. my problem would be that i don't have any hairspray in the house
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I picked up a fabric to make a childs play mat with roads on it at a thrift store. It was in a bag, so i couldn't open it up. I came home, and there was magic marker all over it. I had nothing to lose, so I put it in the sink with hot water, and generic Oxyclean .. Ten minutes later, and the marker was gone. Shocked the crud out of me, as I thought I would have to toss the piece.. I am a firm believer in the powers of Oxyclean. Dollar Tree has the generic for $1...

This is a wonderful tip, thank you so much.

Blog Entries
    Oxy clean took out pencil marks two years old. I've not had luck with hair spray but then, maybe i didn't saturate it enough.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    thanks for sharing your experience/tip. my problem would be that i don't have any hairspray in the house
    It might be worth your while to pick up a little sample size bottle from the drug store to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    They still make hairspray?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    They still make hairspray?
    I hope they don't stop! Thinning flyaway hair the only solution-and believe me I have tried almost everything-is to use ultrahold hair spray. No more flathead on a round face.

Haven't tried it for Sharpie marks on fabric, but I do know it works for ball point pen ink. That, and rubbing alcohol. Cleaned a whole hallway of carpet once that had gobs of ink from a burst pen. The person did not know it was happening and walked throughout the hall, leaving a wonderful trail. The alcohol worked wonders. We tried hairspray and it did not work.

I used that tip 20 years ago when My son and his friend took a black sharpie on my new leather sofa .I t saved the sofa and I did not tan there hide.

Quote Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
    I used that tip 20 years ago when My son and his friend took a black sharpie on my new leather sofa .I t saved the sofa and I did not tan there hide.
    hahaha I Still would have tanned their hide

Hairspray is my go to as well as rubbing alcohol to remove ink.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I can attest to the wonderful powers of OxiClean. Splatters of blueberry jam fell on my small area rug at the kitchen sink upon struggling mightily trying to open a stubborn new jar that then suddenly popped open. I made a paste of OxiClean with warm water, rubbed it into all the stains, waited until the areas dried and then just vacuumed the loose particles of OxiClean that lifted the stains right off. You would never believe this was the scene of an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
    I was marking a quilt block this afternoon, I reached for my water soluble pen and instead picked up a permanent ultra fine point Sharpie. Before I even realized my mistake, I marked the quilt block... Minor as the markings were I ran for the can of hair spray and saturated the marking. I used my fingernail to gently scrape the area of the markings and after about 20 seconds the marks began to lighten... A bit more encouragement from my fingernail and the entire mark disappeared. I sprayed it with water and let it dry naturally. So far so good!!! Hope this helps someone else who may have accidentally marked with the wrong marking pen!!!
    We always used hairspray for inkmarks in the bridal salon I worked years ago. I still have a can around the house, in case.

Blog Entries
    I love l'oreal Elnett Satin hairspray. It keeps my hair soft and in place. I keep a spray bottle of of White Rain or AquaNet for household use. Did you know if you spray ceiling fan blades with hair spray, let dry, the blades will not collect dust much at all?
    Got fabric?

I have used hairspray on ink before, however I had no clue if it would work on permanent marker! I was so relieved to find out it did! It did take some persistence with my fingernail scratching gently over the mark but it did work! Thanks for the tip on oxi clean and rubbing alcohol.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

The hairspray remedy has been around for years and it has been a lifesaver for me, too. There is a product called Sew Clean that removes a lot of marks including hair spray. It is available online and in some quilt stores.