Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Saw Something New Today >

I Saw Something New Today

I Saw Something New Today

Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Way too much effort and organization for my more creative/less organized brain!!
NOT having more of some fabric, or the ability to buy more, or the information so I can beg more, is part of the challenging creative process for me. It makes me *have* to find alternatives of fabric or design, and makes my quilts more interesting visually.

Jan in VA
I'm with you Jan on this. I rarely buy fabric for a particular project and it could be years between the time I bought fabric and I actually use it and by that time it wouldn't be around anyway. I like the challenge of outsmarting what I have to make something. If there isn't enough I always find a way to make do.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I try to cut a small piece of the fabric and paste them onto the receipt. At least I know where I bought a fabric from.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM

I'm with you on that Jan. I'd rather being sewing or planning not organizing. Takes to fun out of the projects.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Way too much effort and organization for my more creative/less organized brain!!
NOT having more of some fabric, or the ability to buy more, or the information so I can beg more, is part of the challenging creative process for me. It makes me *have* to find alternatives of fabric or design, and makes my quilts more interesting visually.

Jan in VA
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM

If it's something that I think I might need more of, or something I especially like, I just use a permanent marker and write everything I need to know on the selvage..who made it, where I bought it, name of the collection, etc....(never...never...how much I paid) LOL!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM

I did wash and iron 'some' of my stash. I wrote yardage on a strip of ribbon and attached it with my Avery micro-stitch. More than that is more organization than I can accomplish now! Source for purchases is beyond my feeble memory, but I manage to recall some of it.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Too much work for me. Most of my fabrics are purchased with no particular pattern in mind. I have always been able to find a fabric/color to match them. I could never buy some of all the fabrics a pattern calls for. It's alway fun to try to find or substitute fabrics if possible from my stash. I have never really liked making something everyone else makes. My most favorite things I have made were my wall art hangings. They are really my creations and it's fun.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

i could never do that, i do remember where i got most of it from
Old 06-06-2014, 07:53 PM

I'm pretty organized but that's a bit too much for me. I buy most of my fabric at garage sales. It's amazing what you find.
Emm
Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Sometimes I would like to have kept track of the who and where of a fabric if I run out of it, but there is always someone here that helps me out
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Even if you knew what store a fabric was bought from , doesn't mean you can get more when that bolt is gone. Fabric has a lifetime and it's not very long. Fabric lines change so quickly.