Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I sold the quilt the lady wanted but didn't >

I sold the quilt the lady wanted but didn't

I sold the quilt the lady wanted but didn't

Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM

I'm thrilled for you because you know what a lot of people do not understand the time and moeny that goes into making a quilt. They think you can just whip one out. Good for you. And if she does decide to ask you for one, be sure to get a non-refundable down payment and signed contract. Congratulations.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM

i was selling a washer and dryer with a 3 year warrenty left on it and a lady called to come and see it. she told me she was coming from out of town i had told her the price was 700.00 ( less than half price) i also told her that i wasn't about to lower the price just so she wouldn't make the trip for nothing. she said she was thinking of offering me 500.00 but i said no she wanted to come see it anyway so i said ok. about 10 minutes after i talked to her another lady called and said she wanted the items for amount i was asking sight unseen so I called the first lady and she was very upset and offered me more money than i was asking but i went with the lady who said i'm on my way to pick them up with cash in hand. that is the only way to things but that is only my experience
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM

This is your business. Make some contracts on your computer that state YOUR terms (I think there are some quilting and crafting books on this. Check you library)
Be as detailed as you can.
Yes, I think you're right. She never intended to do anything but take advantage of you. You appeased your customer by dropping your price. Did you have to do that with the mailman? No, he appreciated your work and paid for it.
Don't do business with her again. Even if she bad mouths you so some people, they probabaly already know her.
Stick to your detailed contract, which will be signed by you buyer before any work is done.
You can even say in the contract that if the item is not paid in full and picked up within 30 days, the quilt is on the market and for sale, NOT ON sale.
I like your idea of paid in full at the beginning you can have acontract written up for that alos. You may find it in your best interest to keep photo records of each quilt you sell, so there can be no quibbling about the condiiton of the quilt later. You're not Sam's Club with returns. You are a craftman. When you value yourself for your skills, others will too.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi Joan, I did not see your previous post but I am glad things turned all right for you. I so agree that your new idea for handling this situation is the proper way to handle business. I would also add that even for family and friends, if they are commissioning you to create a quilt for them that you handle the business part professionally.

I am sure you received lots of great advice in your earlier post. :thumbup:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
I wonder if this lady will call in a few weeks and want the quilt? ROFL Won't she be mad that I already sold it! LOL
Just what I was thinking :) Will serve her right.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
I wonder if this lady will call in a few weeks and want the quilt? ROFL Won't she be mad that I already sold it! LOL
--------------------------
Probably will. Too bad.
He he he...giggle. She got what she deserved. Nothing.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Good for you .... besides, you have one "very happy" mailman. There are people out there, who have "no concept" how much fabric costs - how much time is involved - the dedicated work and artistry it takes to put together a "one of a kind" quilted master piece. They do better to shop at Wal Mart or K Mart .... these stores are "cheaper"!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 PM

That's awesome!!! It turned out good plus you learned how to deal with sales before you actually got stiffed. Dontcha just love it when a plan comes together :)
Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Ok Joan, if she comes back and wants the quilt, you owe us a picture of her face when you tell her you sold it!!!! Good for you, you can't let people walk on you......go girl!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Lucky Mail Man Lucky you

FREE Quilting Newsletter