Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I solved my binding problem >

I solved my binding problem

I solved my binding problem

Old 09-11-2014, 06:41 AM

Default I solved my binding problem

I don't mind doing binding ..... except, when I'm sewing it on I get it all tangled up in my lap, on the floor, etc. And, I know I've seen suggestions about how to handle that problem but I might have missed this one. I know I'm not the first to discover this but I thought I'd pass it along because.... It Works!! At least, for me, it works.

I was cutting the bias binding and there wasn't much fabric left so I just continued to cut it to use all the fabric. Once I pieced the strips together and pressed it, I had quite a bit. ( I still have more to add as you can see in the picture.) Anyway..... and here's the discovery, I used a large rubber band, the kind you get around asparagus in the store, and it kept all the binding neatly folded in my lap. When I wanted more binding, it was easy to take the rubber band off and then put it back on. It's not tight on the binding so it won't leave a bunch of wrinkles.

I know this is simple.... don't know why my old brain never thought of it before.
Attached Thumbnails binding.jpg  
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 AM

That is a good idea! Would also be a great way to store extra binding for later use.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Good idea :-) I usually roll my binding onto a paper towel tube then put a rubber band around it to hold it in place, when I start using the binding I remove the rubber band and lay the tube in my lap, the binding unrolls nicely as I stitch
Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 AM

You are so neat! By the time I get to the binding, I'm usually so sick of the current project that the binding is laying all over the place!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Great idea! Now, if I could just learn how to get a consistent miter on the corners, I'd be good to go!
Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM

I wrap the binding as I'm pressing it around the cardboard from a fat quarter. I just lay it on the quilt and unfold as needed. When I'm done whatever is left on the cardboard gets left there for another quilt. I never use the leftovers but I'm thinking one day I'm going to do a patchwork binding and use some of them.

michelleoc Stop 1/4 in from the edge, remove from machine, fold back on itself toward the top, bring back so folded edges are even at the top, start sewing again 1/4 in and go to next corner. This was in an article I read about binding years ago and it works every time. I'm not good at explaining but if you can find it online I'm sure you'll be consistent in no time.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM

athomenow - I have followed multiple videos, trying new ideas. Now, you say stop 1/4 from the end and do the folding thing, which I do. You, however, say to start sewing 1/4 inch in, is that correct? I have always started sewing from the edge once I did the folding thing. Have I actually not be following instructions all this time (believe me, entirely possible!)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Check out MissStar tutorial on binding. She runs the last few stitches at an angle so corner lays better.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 AM

I Have a really big coffee can I just throw the loose binding in and set it on the floor next to my chair and pull from it. It works great, doesn't get wrinkled or dirty. I just finished binding my huge quilt and realized after I'd sewn it on to the front, that I had made it too wide for the seam allowance I took, so my binding is fairly empty :-(. Oh well, something to do better next time, because I wasn't about to rip it off at that point... I think it's one of my least favourite aspects of quilting.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Kwiltr, I love your coffee can idea. I seldom hand stitch bindings any more. I really hated doing it, so on a quilt for myself I tried sewing the binding to the back, folding it to the front and topstitching really close to the edge. I thought it looked just fine. I chose a bobbin thread color that disappeared into the backing. My mitered corners are neat, and I think the binding is more secure. I cut the bindings at 2.25".