Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I still need help on star quilt border

i like the last picture the best. love you quilt and colors

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    I like the 4th picture also. Keeps the top area the focus. Frames it without fighting with the pattern of pieced blocks.
    I agree with Cybrarian. Hope you get enough votes to proceed. Your quilt top is just gorgeous!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

To frame the quilt, I'd do a 2" (I assume that's the size of your sashing?) in the same color as the sashing, even if you have to hunt for the fabric. Then to start with, do a piano key border all the way around, using all the colors of the quilt. I'd run to the LQS and find some red and any other color you're out of but used in the center to use in that piano key border, which I'd do at 6". The outer border, I'd use the black and gold and make that 10" (18"). I'd take advantage of that wide final border and do some nice quilting there to frame the entire quilt. If you decide to cut down the size of the border, maybe change the piano key border to 4" and the black/gold to 6" (12" total). Nice quilt!!

I like the 4th border but would use the red fabric with squares on point in one of the available fabrics within that border strip. It seems it'd enhance the border as part of the quilt design. Also, others suggestions of adding stars would work or flying geese.

I like the sashing color on the block hangin over the end as it is dark and will pop your block colors. Others seem too light or wrong color.

Blog Entries
    i vote for the gray on top the maroon then the dark on the bottom. love your work.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I also vote for #4 - I like the 3 darker colors in narrower strips which don't take away from the beautiful top

I like the last one...with the lite color...

Blog Entries
    I would try to avoid using anymore of the background fabric. Try the pink for a framing border next the dark brown, then the black /gold. the look will be more elegant. using the light next to the setting triangles is over powering.

I like the last one with the varying widths.
    Your quilt top is beautiful.

I like the border on the last picture with the charcoal, white then rose band on the outside very pretty.The white in the border picks up the white in the blocks and also accents the charcoal. The wider rose border sets off the gold background fabric.

A full time traveler. Currently in Florida
    I like this idea but am tired of stars. I think I will do a braid with all the different colors. Everyones ideas are great and I really appreciate the knowledge you all have. I will make a less than 19' border at the request of some, because I agree it is too much for the quilt. I will post a picture once it is done.
    Vivian

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    I like the 4th picture also. Keeps the top area the focus. Frames it without fighting with the pattern of pieced blocks.
    Me three! This is going to be sooooooooooo beautiful!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I like the last one best, both for the colors and width of strips. It's nice on its own, not competing with the stars on top, but still sets them off..

I tried to take much of the advise given by so many of you. I want to thank you all for your help. I think I have the final colors.
    The first border is a burgundy 1 1/2" which is the same width of the sashing. Next the tan 3", then the rope 4", then the tan 6 inches and the binding a burgundy. The final length will be 14 1/2" which is less than the 19" I wanted but I think it will look better.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the width the borders should be?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vivian

I believe the suggestions for including piecework to the border are correct. Don't be discouraged--sometimes a solution needs time to mature.

Greenheron, Are you talking about the rope portion that I included?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
    I believe the suggestions for including piecework to the border are correct. Don't be discouraged--sometimes a solution needs time to mature.
    Vivian

Quote Originally Posted by vivnme View Post
    Greenheron, Are you talking about the rope portion that I included?
    I must have posted while your picture was loading because I hadn't seen it until now. I think that you have decided on a lovely solution. The proportions in your picture look very nice. You might preview using 1 1/2 inch strips to frame the braid which would give you 2 more inches on each side if if they work well with the rest of the quilt.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2