Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Think I can, I know how? >

I Think I can, I know how?

I Think I can, I know how?

Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Default I Think I can, I know how?

I decide I should not do things with out a pattern or instructions. I made a roll up pouch quilted to carry tools and I put pockets. It turned out good until I tried to roll it up I have seen items like this before. I sewed two ribbons at both end. That does not work! so I left two of the ribbons at on end and put some velcro on the other two so when I wrap it I can use the velcro to hold it. how should this be done? Does anyone know what i did wrong?[ATTACH=CONFIG]510709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]510710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3023.jpg   img_3024.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Not sure what you did wrong but I often make things without patterns. I think it is a great way to exercise my brain by using my thinking skills. Sometimes I am better at it than other times but it still is good.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Hi there, have a look through some of these items and hopefully one of them will explain where your ties should be to get what you're wanting. http://tipnut.com/free-patterns-for-...es-organizers/
Old 02-18-2015, 02:35 PM

I also think that because the items you are storing in it have different bulkiness (is that a word?), that when you tie the bundle tight you will get this look. I think you did great for no pattern and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

I do funny things all the time, even with a pattern I made a tool belt for my great nephews and put the velcro on wrong, so both sides were the same, and didn't stick I sewed it on really well, so it was very hard to undo!
I don't see what went wrong with yours though, it looks really nice to me !
Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM

I think that would be a good pattern to use Soft & Stable on (or the new In-R-Foam). Also you might want to add a flap at the other end that would cover up the pockets so things don't fall out. I have a paintbrush holder like that - it's got the regular pockets along one long side and a large flap along the other. In order to fill the pockets, you'd lift up the flap, fill the pockets, lay the flap back down, then roll up the whole thing and secure w/velcro.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:29 PM

I am not sure if I understand your question, but I think all 4 ties need to be on one end. Since one end gets rolled up in the middle of the roll, you need two ties at the top on one side and two ties at the bottom of the same side. That way one pair of ties wrap around the top and tie together and the other pair wrap around the bottom and tie together. Hope this makes sense. Or if it does not address your problem just pretend I didn't respond!! ;o)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM

I have never made one of these, so take that into consideration when reading my suggestion

I think you attach two ties to the same place, then when you roll it up, one tie goes clockwise and one counterclockwise and where they meet, tie them.

Also, I think one long side is folded over first to keep the items from slipping out when rolled and carried.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Maybe this graphic will help.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

What I was thinking.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Maybe this graphic will help.

Jan in VA